Talk

Advanced search

New baby, rescue greyhound. Any tips?

(14 Posts)
wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 10:00:22

We got our beautiful rescue greyhound 18 months ago. We had a few teething problems while we sorted ourselves out (we foolishly let her sleep on our bed and she snapped at 4 year old when he was in bed with me once) but we got a behaviourist and made some changes and she has been brilliant since we all worked out what we were doing! She is now very friendly with most people, and has never shown any sign of being bothered when ds's friends come and play, she normally gives them a goodly sniff and goes back to bed. She loves ds and has hung out with babies, she's a big fan because they tend to be covered in food! I'm having a baby a week today by elcs, and wondered if anyone had any top tips for introducing them, and helping doglet not to feel too ousted when I'm incapacitated and feeding for hours on end. And whether her rescueness will have any bearing? Thanks

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Mon 27-Feb-17 10:03:14

No advice but just wanted to say good luck. I love greyhounds!

wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 10:06:23

Thanks! She's such a lovely girl!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 10:27:39

When we got home with ds we let our 3 dogs all have a good snuff and a lick (feet only!) they seemed pleased to meet him and had no bother at all. He is 2.5 now and can command our rotty no problem! She obeys him and respects him. Same goes he has never been allowed to jump on /climb over /pull hair etc. He has never been left unsupervised either. Not fair to give that trust to dc or dog. I am sure you too will love to see the bond develop in time!!

wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 11:47:14

Thank you! Lovely to hear positive stories.

SleightOfMind Mon 27-Feb-17 18:03:42

We got our first greyhound (and first family dog) when DS was 5. DD arrived 3yrs later and she was wonderful: woofed at me when the pram started to roll down the hill, when we first started to settle DD upstairs in her cot ('you've left the baby upstairs alone! How could you!') and would sleep at the foot of her cot.
2 years later we got another hound. DD and him had the loveliest bond. He would sneak into bed with her when she was scared at night and I'd find her snuggled up to his chest with his front paws wrapped around her.
A year later we had the DTs.
Both dogs were perfect, not at all bothered by crying/disruption to routine etc.
Walked beautifully with the pushchair.

We took the usual precautions but if your dog has very high prey drive, it may be worth desensitising them to a newborn's cry as it can sound like a small prey animal to some.
There are recordings but if you can get your dog around a real newborn and praise/treat for ignoring that would be great.

Congratulations! Greyhounds and children are just fantastic together.

wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 18:08:43

Ah that sounds adorable! Thank you so much. Greyhounds are such lovely lovely dogs. Good tip about the crying noise desensitising. Don't think it would hurt for dh and ds to get used to it either!

MiaowTheCat Mon 27-Feb-17 18:55:28

One I'd mention that depends on your hound's personality and if they're one of those who love soft white fluffy things like teddies to murdinate... just be careful where you leave blankets and stuff lying around - ours had a whale of a time giving all the lovely soft white fluffy baby stuff some greyhound-style loving when we had a newborn in the house!

Hound lived happily with two new babies (11 months between them) until she died at the end of 2015. Currently trying to get another pointy-rescue... although DD1 has expressed her preference that, having passed a homecheck, can we have a T-Rex instead please?

wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 19:57:36

Good thinking miaow, thanks. She did have an extreme interest in a squeaky Sophie the giraffe when my friend was round with her 7 month old, so I need to do some work around toys! Her "Leave!" Command is pretty good so hopefully it will transfer. Unless the baby's favourite toy is a squirrel. Then I'm done for...grin

wineapotamus Mon 27-Feb-17 20:14:47

Haha I just played baby crying desensitising noise thing from you tube. Dog opened one eye then closed it. That was it. Good old lazy greyhounds.

VeryIdentifyingTatt Mon 27-Feb-17 20:21:51

Like a PP I allowed my two to come sniff and check baby over when I first got home, I know my two would have been much more interested if I had tried to keep them away to begin with.
I had my ELCS in October, just a little practical tip, when you first get home with your dc, have your hound in a separate room, then let them come in once you are sat comfortably with dc in your arms. Even the calmest grey could accidentally hurt you after a cs especially if you are holding a wriggly bundle.

VeryIdentifyingTatt Mon 27-Feb-17 20:25:48

Btw this is my boy and girl with my babygirl it's very possible for them to get on! (DP is next to dd and ddog in the first one, they aren't unattended)

Begadsandbyjingo Mon 27-Feb-17 22:22:14

I have rescue greyhounds and they are as soft as anything with little ones. Some very good points above and I would also agree with the point re fluffy things - my greys have a big pile of soft toys that have stolen from the children's rooms over the years. As I type a have a greyhound foot two inches from my face as she is in her usual roaching position - the other one is lying next to me snoring and farting. Typical greyhounds.....

poorpaws Tue 28-Feb-17 23:04:13

I got one too 😀 Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now