Talk

Advanced search

What is my dog throwing up??

(7 Posts)
GloGirl Mon 27-Feb-17 08:03:53

He vomited up these rocks a couple of weeks ago. They're soft and break apart and don't smell of anything particularly. I had thought he'd eaten something he shouldn't have, a bit of rubber from a toy perhaps and decided it was a one off.

But he threw up again last night and what concerns me is there I'd undigested dinner behind it and he would have eaten at least 5 hours before he threw up so I wonder if they're some kind of blockage??

He's very healthy, a happy dog with no complaints and no signs of discomfort. He's a large crossbreed and eats Lily's Kitchen dog food.

He's generally pretty good at not eating things he should, the main culprits are bits of blankets so we don't give him any now or an ear or an arm of a soft toy, he's not one for eating shoes or anything.

Any advice?? blush

BiteyShark Mon 27-Feb-17 08:06:03

Personally I would be taking him to the vets for a check up. Mine eats stones but they pass through him, if he vomited any up that would warrant a vet visit in case of blockage.

pigsDOfly Mon 27-Feb-17 10:15:30

Yeah, agree with BiteyShark, this needs further investigation.

I'd have been onto the vet the first time it happened.

GloGirl Mon 27-Feb-17 14:13:47

I have actually been to the vet with a suspected blockage with him a year or two ago and he was absolutely fine. He's prone to being a bit sicky and has no abdominal discomfort or drooling and has eaten fine since no vomitting.

I didn't see any reason to take him in last time, i thought he ate something he shouldn't have done. Part of his breeding is prone to it. Now I'm curious if it's stones of some kind I've no idea! Google hasn't helped.

Atantrumaday Mon 27-Feb-17 14:21:46

Go to vet asap.

I too have had a few "maybe there's a blockage" appointments over the 10 years I've owned dogs - always a false alarm. I became a bit blase about sickness as my dogs do have sensitive tums.

However this time (last week) it turned out to be real, and I'll always have that doubt that if I'd taken him to the vet sooner would it have had a different outcome.

Better to go and it be nothing, than to delay and feel the way I now do.

pigsDOfly Mon 27-Feb-17 15:16:55

Re-reading my post GloGirl I realise it sounds a bit harsh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply you weren't doing the right thing for your dog by not going straight to the vet the first time.

It's just that I would have found that rather alarming so vet would have been my first thought.

welshmist Mon 27-Feb-17 15:20:39

If it is a spaniel, have you lost any socks recently or in fact anything, they are devils for eating anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now