Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Labrador licking the air?

(13 Posts)
Topuptheglass Sun 26-Feb-17 17:29:40

I hope I can explain this properly!

Our lab is 9 this summer & has started this habit of dipping her head as if she's licking something on the ground.

Dd (teenager) said it looks like she's licking imaginary puppies? Labs look sad anyway but she looks even more so when doing this.

She usually goes into heat at the beginning of February but hasn't yet. She's not near dogs so isn't in pup - do dogs have such a thing as menopause?

Sorry for the questions & I hope they're not too ridiculous!

Topuptheglass Sun 26-Feb-17 17:35:19

Obligatory pic

foresttrees2 Sun 26-Feb-17 17:40:49

Have you asked a vet? My friends dog does something that sounds a bit like this and it's something to do with epilepsy. Hope it's not that, but if so I think it's very treatable with medication.

Topuptheglass Sun 26-Feb-17 17:43:14

I hadn't even thought of it being something like that!! I tried to record her earlier but will try again.

She's due a vet visit soon for her booster so will mention it then!

FishChipsAndBeans Tue 28-Feb-17 11:40:37

Does she do a kind-of gulping thing as well, or just the licking? Is she licking around the floor?

Topuptheglass Tue 28-Feb-17 13:50:40

Yes to the gulping. I'm not sure if she locks the floor, it's more like the air?

Topuptheglass Tue 28-Feb-17 13:50:56

licks blush

Poorlybabysickday Tue 28-Feb-17 13:51:43

My dog had an ulcer causing him heartburn when he used to lick the air

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:27

I don't know what it means, just wanted to see what a lovely photo!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:48

Say

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:06

aww def go to vets, mine would do this if he felt sick or his mouth/teeth were sore

JustSpeakSense Tue 28-Feb-17 14:03:56

My dog does this, very rarely, when he has a runny nose I think. Very strange to witness.

FishChipsAndBeans Tue 28-Feb-17 14:10:08

My dog also recently started with the gulping and licking thing - licking both the floor and mid air as you describe. I've had her examined under sedation and she's had xrays. No abnormalities found.

However, we've concluded the most likely thing is digestive upset/nausea/acid reflux. The vet agrees this is likely; either that or a hiatus hernia.

This is a good thread about it in other dogs:
www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/dog-gulping-and-swallowing/

And this is what we're currently trying, which seems to be helping:
Feed small handfuls of dry food at onset of episodes.
Avoid foods and treats with ingredients that commonly cause allergies/digestive upset: wheat, maize, etc. (we now limit food to only Millie's Wolfheart, and treats also bought from MW. MW is naturally hypoallergenic)
Feed little and often. Don't go too long without eating: in some dogs an empty stomach can lead to overproduction of stomach acid, which causes stomach discomfort - 3 or 4 meals spread throughout day and evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now