Talk

Advanced search

Feeling overwhelmed

(21 Posts)
Nosuchthingasagruffalo Sun 26-Feb-17 12:01:16

After months of talking it through we decided the time was right to add a puppy to our family. We are a family of 4 my boys are 12 and 10.
We aren't novices we got a larbrador puppy when my oldest was 9 months old she passed away when she was 7. We didn't want to replace her straight away and it took me a long time to get over her passing.
Back to now, we brought home a gorgeous yellow lab puppy on Thursday and I just feel so overwhelmed by it all. She's lovely, going outside most of the time to the toilet. Sleeping well, I get up once during the night at 3am to let her out but it's like having a toddler in the house, she needs constant watching I feel like I can't do anything. My husband has taken a week off work to help her settle he works a mix of early and late shifts I only work a few hours over lunch time so she'll never be on her on for longer than a couple of hours. If it was to be any longer we would get a pet sitter in. Sounds ideal, like we've got it all planned out so why do I feel so constantly terrified? I feel like I'm doing something really wrong. confused

Nosuchthingasagruffalo Sun 26-Feb-17 12:04:07

She's such a little sweetheart. I honestly don't understand why I feel this way!

witwootoodleoo Sun 26-Feb-17 12:07:04

Puppies are hard work and it's only natural to feel overwhelmed at first. But you sound like a lovely responsible and experienced dog owner and I'm sure it will settle down and before long you wouldn't be able to imagine life without her smile

BiteyShark Sun 26-Feb-17 12:13:28

It's the usual puppy panic feeling of 'oh my god what have I done'. It will pass but puppies are hard work but they don't stay puppies forever (that is what I keep telling myself grin)

TheoriginalLEM Sun 26-Feb-17 12:15:53

oh. my. god!! the cuteness grin

I have felt this way about every dog we've had. It passes.

HmmOkay Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:47

It is a big commitment. I couldn't sleep the night before we went to pick up our dog.

It also took me about 10 days to really bond with her properly - before that I was just thinking of the negatives, how we would manage her, control her, were we feeding the right thing, all of that. As soon as I felt that bond then all of my worries just went away and I got on with enjoying her.

Looking back I'm not sure what I was really worried about. The responsibility, I suppose.

Wolfiefan Sun 26-Feb-17 12:18:15

Completely normal to feel that way. At one point I was to be found on the kitchen floor sobbing with the pup in my arms that she would go back if I didn't love her so bloody much.
Thankfully it gets much better very quickly!

Hoppinggreen Sun 26-Feb-17 12:46:11

This is why puppies are so cute - they are bloody hard work and if they weren't cute we wouldn't have one!!
I regularly sobbed in the early days of our dog, ppd ( post puppy depression) is definitely a thing

Medeci Sun 26-Feb-17 13:06:09

Your previous dog must have been unusually well behaved for a lab pup for you to get another one smile.
My lab was a nightmare puppy, he didn't calm down till he was 2.
Not helpful, sorry.

Nosuchthingasagruffalo Sun 26-Feb-17 14:32:17

Thank you everyone, I honestly thought I was going crazy. Feeling so overwhelmed by it all. medeci our old lab lady was a nightmare until she was 2 as well she ate the floor, 2 phone chargers, a phone, countless dog beds but we loved her and when she finally matured she was an amazing dog so loyal and well behaved which is why we decided to get another. I'm under no illusions that the sweet little bundle we have now will stay so cute! Ha!

Wolfiefan Sun 26-Feb-17 14:34:20

I honesty felt like I was losing my mind when we got pup! The sleep deprivation. The constant vigilance.
She's 5 months and getting easier every week. She still has separation anxiety a bit. This is her HE LEFT ME ALOOONE FACE. Dh went into the next room! grin

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 26-Feb-17 14:36:28

Our Cairn cross nearly broke our relationship it was that bad! Then two years ago we got a Rottie after losing our other one. He was and still is a nightmare. Chews everything in sight! Our Cairn is now daddy's girl and we would never ever be without our furry family. But yes. When they are young it's a bloody nightmare!

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 26-Feb-17 14:41:54

Our babies.

Heyheyheygoodbye Sun 26-Feb-17 14:42:42

It's the Puppy Blues. I was sure it wouldn't happen to me and it did - in spades! Now he's 9 months and I couldn't imagine life without him. It will pass flowers try to enjoy the baby stage but take comfort in knowing it doesn't last long!

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 26-Feb-17 14:42:50

BOO

SparklingRaspberry Sun 26-Feb-17 15:41:21

I think most people get the 'omg what have I done?!' moment after they've just got a puppy

It does get easier. And it does get better.

I think it's harder than having a toddler at times.

AndShesGone Sun 26-Feb-17 16:13:26

Today my pup ate a stick, was sick and then was totally weirded out by the sickness and peed on the floor hmmshock

She's 7 months and honestly the love of our lives. Dh picked her up and carried her round like a baby after that grintil she felt better

ToffeeChops Sun 26-Feb-17 16:29:55

I was the same, I felt as though I was teetering on the brink of returning ToffeeDog to the breeder for weeks after we brought him home, but one year on I'm so glad I didn't. He makes me smile every day and now the thought of not having him is.... well, unthinkable.

Hang in there - as others have said, it will pass.

TeamLentil Sun 26-Feb-17 16:32:59

Yup. I would have sent my pup back to the breeder if we didn't love him so much. It does pass, hang in there flowers

Heyheyheygoodbye Sun 26-Feb-17 18:15:33

Also, remember that love grows. Your other dog was very dear to you and it will take a while for the new pup to hollow a new nook in your heart.

Nosuchthingasagruffalo Sun 26-Feb-17 19:07:24

Oh my they are all so cute and fluffy!!

I think once we can get out of the house in a couple of weeks I'll feel much better I get cabin fever and obviously we haven't been able to go far as she's still so little so can't be left for too long.

She whines when she's put in her pen in the kitchen when I'm busy doing something and can't watch her. I'm hoping she grows out of that. I do leave the radio on in there for company but it doesn't make any difference. Funny thing is she sleeps in there at night and doesn't whine at all confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now