Talk

Advanced search

Adolescent dogs residential training

(8 Posts)
Berniethewonderdog Thu 23-Feb-17 12:39:03

Hi there, anyone sent their dog here for training? They claim to have all 5* reviews, which seems a bit unlikely. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks

Scuttlebutter Thu 23-Feb-17 18:15:43

For me the bigger question is why this sort of training? A huge part of training is about how you work together - building the relationship, improving communication, learning from each other. A good trainer will be helping both of you to improve - I know with the training I do, a huge chunk of it will be about sorting out my bad training habits rather than anything my dog does (in fact, she's remarkably tolerant of my idiocy).

Whitney168 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:29:01

I have never seen such training work. The nature of dogs is that they work for a handler, rather than blindly following commands. In the experience of anyone I know who has sent a dog for residential training, the dog has demonstrated great success with the trainer, who knows how to motivate them (through varying methods ...) - then come home and reverted to previous behaviour with the owner!

leighdinglady Thu 02-Mar-17 11:36:08

We sent our pup for a three week 'complete training program' at a place called Royvon. It cost a fortune and made no difference at all. He came back worse if anything and bit someone. It was just very expensive and unnecessary boarding. We've complained and got no where. Such a waste of time and money.

pigsDOfly Thu 02-Mar-17 12:21:28

I went to training classes with my dog when she was a puppy. They really were more for the human part of the partnership than for the dog. What I learned in those classes was my basis, along with additional reading, for a lifetime of training.

Training a dog is not a one off thing, it goes on the whole of their lives and you need to be the person who keeps that training going.

This looks like a really good way of making money to me and I'm pretty sure will teach you nothing about how to train your dog.

Steer very clear, would be my advice. If you need remedial training for a dog, get a good one to one trainer who will work with you and the dog and leave you with some helpful skills and a greater knowledge of your dog.

SparklingRaspberry Thu 02-Mar-17 13:51:03

I don't wish to offend anyone, but what's the point in getting a dog if you're not willing to put in the work?

A huge part of having a dog is forming a relationship and bond, learning together and teaching it things it needs to know.

It's not down to other people. Even if you sent your dog and it learnt every single thing there, chances are it'd only do it best for the person teaching it.

It's your dog. It's all down to you. If it's going through the adolescent phase, take it back to training classes or have home visits.

leighdinglady Thu 02-Mar-17 14:07:25

sparkling

We went to weekly classes and paid for 1 to 1 sessions to try to stop our dog resource guarding. Neither of us have had a dog before and were at our wits end. We were scared we were going to have to give him away (or worse) so we sent him there as a last resort.

We're now back to just trying to train him ourselves. He's an amazing dog, but so strong willed. Not the best for first time dog owners

sotiredbutworthit Thu 02-Mar-17 15:50:46

We sent them to residential as I was heavily pregnant and starting to struggle (we got the puppies before we knew I was pregnant). They can back transformed- you still have to put the work in though- to keep on top of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now