Talk

Advanced search

Rehoming-which one, what would you do?

(12 Posts)
tich1 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:20:45

We currently have a set of blue and brindle staffy brothers and a gorgeous parson russell terrier bitch, Duncan, Dashiell and Arden. They're all rescue dogs and gorgeous! I've very much settled into the three dog lifestyle and DH and I have been pursuing the option of another dog.
We've been keeping an eye on the local rescue near us. At the minute, they have a mini schnauzer and a mongrel (poodle x golden retriever) that they have rang us to talk about. They think these dogs would be suitable for our family. They are beautiful dogs, both of them! So sweet and lovely and very good tempered. However, I can't help but think these dogs will get snapped up in a minute as they are sought after dogs and I feel quite guilty that I'm considering these dogs when they have a mastiff and a GSD who've been in the shelter for three months and not been adopted.
Both dogs also have fantastic temperaments and sweet personalities but haven't been adopted. I volunteer at the local shelter so I've spent time with these dogs and know how sweet they are. I also know that the shelter is doing what they think is right for us as a family.
What I'm asking is: which dog would you choose out of the schnauzer and the mongrel? Which one goes better with our existing dogs? Which is better with kids? Or would you go for the dogs that have been there for a long time but haven't been recommended by the shelter for us? And on a more fun note: which name would you choose (all dogs mentioned are bitches) out of Laura, Hope, Leila or Louisa. All names mentioned are the names of the dogs. Guess which one is for which!
Thank you.

Loopholio Tue 21-Feb-17 17:31:29

Would you not be better talking to the shelter about this? Presumably they know you and your dogs so will have an idea of which dog might be a good fit with the ones you've already got?
Would you have the chance to take your dogs to meet the others and take it from there?

BiteyShark Tue 21-Feb-17 17:42:50

I would ask the shelter why they think those dogs are more suitable for you than the ones that have been there longer. Maybe there is no real reason but perhaps they know something you don't about the other two.

tich1 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:07:38

They've not actually asked me how many dogs we have currently or their breeds. They asked whether I had experience with dogs. I said yes. I will ask them again but I've made several attempts and been parred off with the conversation going into another direction. I think maybe the person I'm speaking to isn't senior enough to answer my question.

tich1 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:28:02

bump

piginboots Tue 21-Feb-17 19:58:44

I think you should try again with asking the shelter and also meet all 4 dogs along with your partner and your other three dogs.

Having recently fostered a gsd/mastiff/mongrel mix who was THE NICEST DOG IN THE WORLD I'd be tempted to recommend one of the other two but that would be silly if course - what matters is that they fit with your lifestyle and get on with your existing dogs.

piginboots Tue 21-Feb-17 20:00:43

And of course bring your DC to meet them if you have any.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:05:47

Well the lovely thing to do would be to rehome one that will languish for months in the kennels. But at the end of the day, rehoming any dog is a wonderful thing to do, so go with your heart.

Fireinthegrate Tue 21-Feb-17 20:29:24

How can the shelter recommend any of these dogs to you if they don't know your home circumstances? You mentioned that they have not asked you if you already have dogs. Quite possibly the dogs at the shelter may not get on well with other dogs and to come into a set 'pack" may not work out.

From a personal POV I used to have 3 dogs and quite frankly it was too much. 3 is a whole lot harder than 2.

Whitney168 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:18

How old are your other dogs?

Not sure I would set too much store on recommendations from a rescue that haven't enquirer in to the dogs you already have.

Shambolical1 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:11:46

It's VERY odd that they're not interested in the number, sex and breed of your current dogs.

What kind of shelter is this?

Alarm bells are clanging.

ExConstance Thu 23-Feb-17 16:53:46

I always feel compelled to go for the least conventionally attractive, because all the shallow people out there go for the pretty ones. After a week or so whatever your dog looks like it is beautiful to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now