Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

residential dog training

(6 Posts)
PrincessSuzi Mon 20-Feb-17 21:21:22

Has anyone used Royvon dog training? they do a 3 week courses for nervous aggressive dogs.

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 20-Feb-17 22:32:06

You'd be far better off with some one to one sessions with a decent behaviourist rather than sending your dog to someone else to be trained whilst you're not there. Training the owner how to deal with issues is a huge part of not only overcoming them but also maintaining the improvement long term.

The following organisations can help you find a reputable behaviourist/trainer who uses modern, science based methods:

APBC
CAPBT
APDT
IMDT
(all my links)

(Any links appearing in this post other than those marked as my own have been inserted automatically by advertising software and may link to companies or products I would neither support nor recommend.)

Scuttlebutter Mon 20-Feb-17 22:33:25

I think there are two issues - the wider one of whether residential training is appropriate for a dog who is nervous aggressive. I personally wouldn't - as the owner, you need to put the time in working with your dog to understand their body language, triggers and then increasing their confidence e.g. using BAT with a behaviourist. There's no short cut and I frankly wouldn't trust anyone who said otherwise.

Do Royvon make any claims about the qualifications of behaviourists used? Ideally you should be looking for someone who is APBC registered. We did BAT with our APDT trainer, but we already knew him, and his extensive experience with rescue dogs.

Specifically, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after this incident. www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/kennels-10k-penalty-over-dogs-1922333

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Feb-17 22:34:34

I can understand the temptation. But I agree with the above. Decent trainers will train you how to deal with particular behaviours. My puppy may do as she's told with my trainer but that's bugger all use to me if I can't get her to do the same thing for me!

PrincessSuzi Tue 21-Feb-17 00:04:36

Than you so much for that newspaper clipping, I've been all evening reading their blurb, will definitely stay well clear of them.

sotiredbutworthit Tue 21-Feb-17 22:21:22

We used Royvon in Merthyr and they were absolutely fantastic! I can't recommend them highly enough! They saved our dogs life incidentally when he swallowed a wasp while with them. Vet said if they hadn't acted as they did he would have died.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now