Talk

Advanced search

My dog is scared of my feet

(6 Posts)
LimpidPools Sun 19-Feb-17 19:04:41

What do I do?

She's a rescue dog, and we got her 4 years ago. She didn't show any signs of being ill treated and we were told she hadn't been. In fact she was very well trained.

But she is afraid of my feet. Just my feet. My DP's aren't a problem.

She looks scared, her eyes roll and she will growl and snap at them if they come too close, but doesn't usually make contact. She has slightly punctured the skin once, when I must have put a foot on her when we were both deeply asleep. I don't think that really counts.

She is absolutely not agressive and neither am I! She is clearly scared, but I have never and would never kick her. Obviously I don't know about her past and it looks like someone else has.

What can I do to teach her that my feet are not dangerous?

llamadramawoes Sun 19-Feb-17 19:06:44

We have this!

Rescue dog too. Ok so we haven't cracked it, but it's much better now. We assume he was kicked. So that's the root of the fear.

We then give warning when feet are about to move. We reward for all calmness and non-reaction to feet being moved. We also try and position ourselves where we won't make him jump if we move. Good luck!

LimpidPools Sun 19-Feb-17 20:52:26

Thanks llama. I like the idea of warning her before I move my feet.
I like the idea of positive reinforcement too, though I'm nervous of risking my toes!

What breed is yours? Mine's a Jack Russel.

llamadramawoes Wed 22-Feb-17 21:35:26

Collie hmm so pretty predictable really!

Wolfiefan Wed 22-Feb-17 21:38:36

Stupid question! Does it make a difference what's on your feet?
Throw treats on floor when you move? So moving feet equals good things!

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 21:41:05

My rescue Yorkie is the same - X-ray revealed her paw was broken years ago (before we had her) sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now