Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you run with your dog...

(7 Posts)
TronaldDump Sun 19-Feb-17 13:09:34

...do you have any tips for me? I've run on and off with DDog for a couple of years but am now trying to get out a couple of times a week with him. We have young kids and just don't have the time to do a run and a decent walk at the weekend (DH runs too but refuses to take the dog with him).

In general he's very good and 60% of my runs are off-road so he runs nicely alongside off lead. He's getting better on the lead but tends to get bored of running at the same pace all the time and can slow down and drag along behind me (not that I actually drag him, iyswim).

I wondered if anyone more experienced had recommendations for kit or techniques to get us both running harmoniously?! Thanks!

sparechange Sun 19-Feb-17 13:13:43

Definitely get a harness rather than use a collar
And get a body lead, or get a belt and put the loop of the lead through it.
It means you can run properly with both arms, and your dog can move from your left to right side easily

You can buy proper kit but I haven't bothered, other than the harness

There are probably some good tips on the Cani cross websites as well...

TronaldDump Sun 19-Feb-17 13:37:20

Thanks sparechange I've ordered cheap versions of both from Amazon to try and we can upgrade later if we get on with them. He's such a good dog and loves belting after me off lead- just need to crack the bits on the road!

sparechange Sun 19-Feb-17 17:50:50

I have trained sparedog to pull when she has the harness but not on the collar, which is great when we are running up hills!

She gets very excited when the harness comes out of the cupboard and also now when I put my trainers on because she knows it is running time...

TronaldDump Sun 19-Feb-17 19:54:21

Lovely idea! Ddog is a 5kg weakling so not sure his efforts would help lug my fat arse around but he's a Duracell bunny and can run rings around me when he wants. He definitely gets excited when he see the trainers too (especially because it means the kids aren't coming and we can have some quality owner/pooch time!)

lambandflag Sun 19-Feb-17 21:09:40

I second the advice about getting a running belt and harness. I also don't run with mine on roads - just not sure their joints could take it, but could be wrong. I try and call out left, right and run on. They're allowed to stop for the toilet but not constantly.

Maybe see if there's a group you could hook up with to gain some more experience.

TronaldDump Mon 20-Feb-17 19:19:05

Oh crikey I hadn't thought about joints! - although it's not really possible for us to run off road any more than we do - we just run along bits of country road between footpaths, it's not lots of continuous road running!

Will see how we get on with the new kit - thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now