Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for puppy pen

(14 Posts)
cheesentoast Sat 18-Feb-17 13:59:23

New pup coming soon and looking for a puppy pen. Not massive, want it to fit in kitchen. Max of 5' x 4'. It's just somewhere safe to put her when I have to pop out over those first few weeks, school run etc. Her crate will need to fit inside but she's a small breed. Don't want to be crating her which is why am thinking a pen would give her more room etc.

Have had a look online but lots get poor reviews for build quality and safety.

Thanks.

BiteyShark Sat 18-Feb-17 14:09:32

I have used this which was ok but DDog could move it if he pushed against it

www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-Easy-Up-Puppy-Rabbit-8-Piece/dp/B00IYSMCZG?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 18-Feb-17 14:10:39

What kind and where are you (I have one I've used for three weeks and want to sell on - DM me)

Mine is a standard Ellie Bo one and it's pretty sturdy. My puppy is a whippet, and is 13 weeks - two weeks ago he learnt to jump vertically out! No use now but was worth having first few weeks.

I have to say we have a crate too which I had in the pen. He slept in it with door open and now he is happy in the crate all night. I think this was quite a good way of crate training and he is dry at night now. He has a crate in the car so I think will always be useful even though we haven't gone all out 'crate training' on him

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 18-Feb-17 14:18:07

The Crufts puppy pens (my link) are excellent and they're modular so you can make them various different sizes.

(Any links appearing in this post other than those marked as my own have been inserted automatically by advertising software and may link to companies or products I would neither support nor recommend.)

VilootShesCute Sat 18-Feb-17 14:26:11

Girl that made me laugh, vertical jumping. Hehe.

VilootShesCute Sat 18-Feb-17 14:28:35

(Only because I now have an image of a small whippet pup standing on all 4 legs taking off to extreme hights grin)

cheesentoast Sat 18-Feb-17 16:56:56

Thanks for the recommendations.

Girl, will pm you. Am ever so sloghtly alarmed that you got so little time out of it before pup found a means to escape 😂.

Cornflake thanks. Had been looking at the Croft website and sort of chosen this style but u sure what quality or finish would be. Much prefer what you linked to but cost is prohibitive by the time I add on a pair of extra panels to increase size (if I remember correctly the standard size would be a bit small but the with the extra panels it would be too deep).

The Ellie-Bo crates look a possibility - thank you!

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 18-Feb-17 18:05:25

viloote that is exactly what he does. He's actually a kangaroo. I think it's only a whippet thing @cheeseontoast - unless you have a greyhound puppy ;-)

I think if you have the room a pen is a great idea.

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 18-Feb-17 18:05:56

Ellie bo is modular too

VilootShesCute Sat 18-Feb-17 19:51:32

cheese we got the croft puppy panels for our wolfie. I'll see if I can dig out a pic of what dh made...

VilootShesCute Sat 18-Feb-17 20:01:23

Sorry about the funny angle. Croft panels.

cheesentoast Sat 18-Feb-17 22:40:44

Thanks for the photos Viloot. Am glad you posted as it looks totally different on their website - doesn't show the wooden frame at all. Is your gate wooden too? On the website it shows a metal gate.

Need to get the measurng tape out again tomorrow and order something!

VilootShesCute Sun 19-Feb-17 01:22:02

Oh no it's just the metal! Husband knocked up the bloody great wooden frame don't worry it doesn't come with that! Although for a wolfhound it needed to be as sturdy as we could make it, so the frame was a must. They're tough, I'd go for them if I were you.

Bubble2bubble Sun 19-Feb-17 09:44:02

I had this one to contain n ddog after surgery.
It was very sturdy but very easy to put up and you can change the shape to fit your space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now