Talk

Advanced search

The last cuddle

(8 Posts)
Goodgriefisitginfizzoclock Sat 18-Feb-17 07:29:39

We said goodbye last night, am heartbroken.
Been treating since September with chemo but became resistant at Christmas so stopped, even though I've had weeks more than we originally thought still feel bereft. He was 10 'young' for a cocker. My kids are 18 and 13 so a massive part of their lives, have another dog who is a brother and is 6, I thought that would be a comfort- it's not.
I ask the doghouse Does it get better?

Garnethair Sat 18-Feb-17 07:37:15

So terribly sorry for you and your family. It does get better.

Goodgriefisitginfizzoclock Sat 18-Feb-17 11:51:36

Thank you! Just got back from walking the dog, not our first solo walk as my other hasn't been up to walks but felt different somehow

BiteyShark Sat 18-Feb-17 12:24:41

I'm so sorry flowers

Poppypooch Sat 18-Feb-17 21:17:18

So sorry flowers yes it does get better. I know what you mean with the solo walk, I was like you, 1st dog was ill and not up to the long walks, feels very strange, I found myself a secluded bench in the park and just sobbed. Your other dog will be a comfort in time, honest. The grief is just too raw at the moment.

dudsville Sat 18-Feb-17 21:20:42

It's the hardest thing. So heart breaking. It gets easier. Can you do something in memory? We found ourselves going on"remember when" loops so started writing then down on slips of paper. They're kept in a box and we add to it from time to time, go through it on occasion.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 18-Feb-17 22:02:36

We lost our old cocker at eleven. Just felt bereft. We didn't have another dog either so the house felt empty. No wagging tail to greet us when we came home. No dog in the house. Was awful. Missed him so much.

It doesn't get better as such, you just come to terms with it. Thank god you have another dog. I couldn't bear not being a dog owner anymore. It was about a month before we put our names down for a puppy and nearly two years later he is firmly ensconced and I keep trying to persuade dh that we should have another one.

He's not my old boy and he never will be, but he's a fabulous dog. It's like having children, they don't replace one another. I love him to bits though and he makes me happy and it makes getting over the loss just that little bit easier.

Goodgriefisitginfizzoclock Sun 19-Feb-17 19:10:11

The box is a great idea duds. We decided not to have him back as tbh if I couldn't have him back I didn't want a box for the windowsill, a memory box is a good idea.
Thanks all for your kind words

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now