Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it a legal necessity for your dog to wear a tag when out walking?

(30 Posts)
DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:27:42

This subject came up on a dog walk recently. As my dog is so tiny she wears a harness instead of a collar but I was told that she had to wear a collar and tag as it is a legal requirement. I never realised this, but I am going to have awful trouble getting her a collar and tag that is small enough.

Lancelottie Fri 17-Feb-17 17:32:06

I think you could put the tag somewhere on her harness. The wording does say 'collar', but there's no reason a harness wouldn't count as a collar-plus-extra-bits.

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Feb-17 17:33:03

It is a legal requirement. Have a Google. Tag on harness? You can get cat sized collars and tags. She could wear a tiny collar just so you are legal.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:33:20

What a good idea Lancelottie - didn't even think of that!! D'oh!!

Lancelottie Fri 17-Feb-17 17:34:42

Or get a cat collar? Take the bell off...

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 17-Feb-17 17:35:36

Yes it has to have your name, contact number and address on.
Is your dog chipped?

CornflakeHomunculus Fri 17-Feb-17 17:35:52

Technically yes, the law does state that a dog must wear a collar with their ID tag on it.

Mine don't wear collars at all though and instead have their tags on their harnesses and I've never had a problem. Arguably having them on a harness is more sensible as you've got a better chance of being able to read them even if you can't get hold of the dog.

There is also a legal requirement regarding the information that must be on the tag. There's details of that here (my link). I'd definitely make sure you have at least the legal minimum of information on but I like to have as much useful stuff as I can cram onto them.

(Any links appearing in this post other than those marked as my own have been inserted automatically by advertising software and may link to companies or products I would neither support nor recommend.)

Lancelottie Fri 17-Feb-17 17:36:14

Cross posts, Wolfie!

Have to say, I've never had any luck keeping a collar on my actual cat.

toffee1000 Fri 17-Feb-17 17:37:20

Our dog had a collar and harness. We just clipped the lead to the harness. But then he was probably a bigger dog than yours.
What breed is she? I notice you can get collars for tiny dogs like chihuahuas. I think the tag is the main thing, though, not the collar.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:39:34

Thanks everyone. Yes, TheCrowFromBelow she is microchipped. I thought that was enough but obviously not!! Will get it sorted as soon as possible.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:40:41

She is a chihuahua Toffee1000, but teeny even by their standards!!

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Feb-17 17:43:52

@lancelottie
Putting collars on cats is to be avoided. DON'T google images of collar injuries!
OP I don't have this problem. Mine is a wolfhound. She can wear three collars and have neck to spare! grin

thereisnocheese Fri 17-Feb-17 17:44:37

Ooh no. I've got our postcode only and phone number - do you think I need to add the full address too?

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Feb-17 17:49:24

Law says your name and address. So if you haven't got those then you need a new tag.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:55:18

Just ordered one - as I had to have a small one I could have house number and Postcode. It also said a telephone number is not essential but a good idea and don't put dogs name on it.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 17:55:48

Oh and I had to have my name too!!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 17-Feb-17 17:58:14

I'm sure you'd get even better answers than the perfectly comprehensive ones already supplied if you attached a photo to show us the scale of the problem.grin

daisychicken Fri 17-Feb-17 17:59:03

That's interesting re needing name and address. We got our last tag via our vets and discussed with them what we needed. Ddog was old with various health needs requiring medication. They suggested our mobile numbers on one side and their phone number with their name on the other (he was also id chipped). His tag was also on his harness.

DannyOD Fri 17-Feb-17 18:01:37

Here she is - and may I just say I was not responsible for putting a dress on her!!!

CornflakeHomunculus Fri 17-Feb-17 18:04:58

Mine each have two tags, always attached to their harnesses:

One of these (my link) with my surname, home phone number, my mobile number, DH's mobile number, house number, street and postcode.

One of these (my link) with the name of my vet practice, their phone number and their postcode.

Possibly a tad overkill but I like to keep as many bases covered as possible!!!

(Any links appearing in this post other than those marked as my own have been inserted automatically by advertising software and may link to companies or products I would neither support nor recommend.)

ErrolTheDragon Fri 17-Feb-17 18:05:26

thanks Outrageously cute! grin

Lancelottie Fri 17-Feb-17 18:12:20

I know, Wolfie, I know...
At first it was to try to placate the birdwatching neighbours by putting a bell on her. Later it was a handy place to try to keep her phone number, given how often she left home for weeks on end. And finally, when she was over 18, we had a go with it as a place to write 'do NOT feed me, I'm on a medical diet and your tuna is murdering me'.

Old mog still sadly missed. Young mog has never had a collar. And that is indeed a ludicrously cute tooth fairy dog.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sat 18-Feb-17 00:06:09

Can I just say to those who have tags on harnesses - the reason they advise collars with tags is because one of the most common causes of lost dogs is ones that have slipped their harness. If the dog also has a collar with tag on then the info is still on them if this happens.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 18-Feb-17 00:40:49

It had never occurred to me a dog could slip a harness ... surely they're way more secure than collars? Obv a dog leashed to a harness wont be collar-slipping .... but if you just use a collar, the logic of that is you should use 2, one for the tag and one for the leash.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sat 18-Feb-17 01:37:14

It's apparently more likely that people will use an improperly fitting harness than an improperly fitted collar, which probably has a fair bit to do with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now