Talk

Advanced search

Collar indoors or not?

(38 Posts)
MRSJWRTWR Wed 15-Feb-17 12:59:37

I'm in two minds about this. I like the idea of our puppy being collar free in the house, more comfortable for him, safer perhaps? However, over the last few years I have had two dogs turn up on our doorstep, one had a collar with a tag and a quick phone call reunited her with her owner and the other had nothing and it took a good few hours and phone calls to vets, dog warden etc before his owner was finally found. Also, this was some time ago and I suppose micro chipping is becoming much more common. What do you do/think?

HmmOkay Wed 15-Feb-17 13:09:33

We take our dog's collar off inside.

She was a rescue dog and had a ring of flattened fur when we got her due to her collar rubbing there, so we've always just taken it off inside ever since. It has become a habit now, I suppose. It would be fine for her to have a collar inside now.

Our garden is secure and she doesn't go outside into the garden unaccompanied.

We've had her 7 years and she's never wandered off once. She is not a wandering type though - doesn't like to let us out of her sight. Some dogs really are wanderers and are always planning their escapes. Our friend's beagle is a real escape artist. He has a collar with his name and number on his tag. It has been used plenty of times by various people.

Ours does have a microchip. We are rural and most people know her here.

bassetmum Wed 15-Feb-17 13:11:11

Ours only wears her collar when we are out of the house. As she is crate trained the crate manufacturers recommend not wearing a collar in the crate as it can get caught in thinga

HmmOkay Wed 15-Feb-17 13:12:21

Actually, should have said:

I'd probably keep the collar on a puppy inside for a while just until it is a bit older, particularly if you have family members who aren't great at shutting doors and gates. Or if your garden isn't totally secure.

BiteyShark Wed 15-Feb-17 13:12:23

I have a collar but it is one that breaks free if it is caught on something so no chance of choking etc. I tend to use a harness for walks so the collar is just for keeping name tag on it etc.

CMOTDibbler Wed 15-Feb-17 13:14:00

Mine wear their tag collars pretty much all the time in the house - they have them off overnight once a week. The tag collars are lightweight, thin and looser fitting than their walking collars which only go on to go out

Getnakedorgohome Wed 15-Feb-17 13:15:04

I never kept a collar on our old boy in the house but he didn't really like moving so no chance of him 'bolting' 😂
I think it would be uncomfortable to wear a collar all the time, I imagine it feels like wearing a bra all the time and I can't wait to take that off in the evening so... grin

piginboots Wed 15-Feb-17 13:17:32

I love to see dogs with their collars off but we mostly leave ours on. Easier to get them back quickly if they escape, plus easier to grab if they try to slip through the door while you're taking the bins out etc.

MRSJWRTWR Wed 15-Feb-17 13:18:10

Yes, keeping his collar on indoors until we are used to making sure doors are shut etc is probably a good idea. The little Westie who turned up on our doorstep without a collar had apparently escaped from his owner's new house, while everyone was going in and out with stuff. He wandered over half a mile, across two or three busy roads, he was very lucky.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 15-Feb-17 13:21:17

All times except in the bath. I hate him mot having it on. Feels too vulnerable. He was a rescue. Found on the streets. In January brrrr. No collar. I'm not taking any chances. We're very careful with doors. Have still had to chase him down street a couple of times.

FortunaMajor Wed 15-Feb-17 13:24:50

I have a large GSD who wears a loose chain all the time with her tags on and then I use a webbing collar for walks.

I tend to find flat collars wear away the fur when left on, but chains don't. I use a clip to close it so it isn't used as a choke chain. Microchipping isn't foolproof as people forget to update their details.

MRSJWRTWR Wed 15-Feb-17 13:35:59

Could anyone recommend a good light weight collar to wear all/most of the time? Most of the ones I've looked at still seem fairly bulky. We will be using a harness for walks.

Heyheyheygoodbye Wed 15-Feb-17 13:40:09

Mine wears a harness for walks, and a Timberwolf collar with an ID tag all the time. The collar is loose so he could slip it (hence the harness) but I think the law says he has to have one? The collar doesn't bother him because it is loose but it means in the house we have something to grab if we need to.

ThatsNumberWanggg Wed 15-Feb-17 13:42:14

Mine have Ruffwear collars, they are light and comfortable. They've got Indigo dog tags on them so they don't hang down and jingle. Lost a few of the hanging ones too before I discovered Indigo.

ALemonyPea Wed 15-Feb-17 13:47:05

Mine both have theirs in all the time. They're naked otherwise no?

The collars are mostly decorative as they use harnesses when out, the collars simply have their dog tags on.

LilCamper Wed 15-Feb-17 13:48:02

Mine are totally naked at home. We operate an airlock system with the front door so there is no risk of escape.

Tags are attached to harnesses when we go out.

MRSJWRTWR Wed 15-Feb-17 14:53:34

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations.

Floralnomad Wed 15-Feb-17 15:08:25

Mine wears a loose , lightweight collar with a tag indoors ,I take it off for walks ( wears a harness with tags) so it doesn't get dirty / wet .

honeyroar Wed 15-Feb-17 15:30:53

Ours always have collars on. I just wouldn't run the risk of them getting out (and I think our house is secure too). They have canvas collars.

One of my dogs adores his collar and almost gets upset when he doesn't have it! One time, when he was a boisterous untrained rescue, he slipped his collar in a field when he saw a new dog. I had a feeling of dread, "how am I going to catch him now??" But he realised his collar had come off and ran back for me to put it on. He even pulls it off the radiator if it's been washed and tales it to his bed. Strange dog! He is quite possessive of his things.

pigsDOfly Wed 15-Feb-17 16:42:50

I went through a phase of taking my dog's off as her tag kept banging on her food bowl and putting her off, but a couple of times I got home from the park and realised that I'd forgotten to put it back on before we went out - walked on a harness - so she keeps in on all the time now.

She always seems keen to put it back on if I've taken it off to comb her so I definitely don't think she's more comfortable without it.

pishedoff Wed 15-Feb-17 17:29:17

Lilcamper- what's an airlock system?

Thewolfsjustapuppy Wed 15-Feb-17 17:31:01

Pup only wears a collar when at doggy day care ,so one day a week. she wears a harness for walks and that has her tag on. She isn't fussed either way but I hate her in a collar.

Floralnomad Wed 15-Feb-17 17:54:25

I assume that the 'airlock' system is similar to ours which is that the dog is shut behind a different gate or door before the door to the outside is open ,we have to do this as our dog would be straight over the road at the first opportunity as he knows that 2 cats live opposite .

wineusuallyhelps Wed 15-Feb-17 19:14:42

Mine always has it on. I'm worried I will forget to put it back on when we go out (twice a day at least). He's comfortable with it on.

However, when he was a puppy we took it off when he was in his crate in case he became entangled.

wineusuallyhelps Wed 15-Feb-17 19:16:39

Also a good point made by heyheygoodbye. I need the collar on to hold him back when the doorbell rings etc. Wouldn't be able to restrain him otherwise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now