Talk

Advanced search

Do you give your dog treats everyday?

(11 Posts)
Mollylove Tue 14-Feb-17 07:36:21

I have a 10 year old rescued lab, not overweight but more cuddly than slight. Obviously won't let her put on weight but want to treat her well as she's old and been through a lot.

So I cut her 'light' complete food down slightly and give her 2 healthy chews a day (split up through the day) then at night I give her 1 schmacko broken up into tiny bits where I throw each bit to make her run for it. I do this as she's not one for playing so it adds to her exercise.

Does this sound ok? I've had her 6 months now and she's not put on any weight and her legs seem a lot better (they didn't have much muscle before)

BiteyShark Tue 14-Feb-17 08:35:31

My dog gets training treats every day plus chews when we are eating (to give us peace and quiet otherwise he would want to go in and out of the garden every minute and it's too cold to leave the door open)

I think if they are getting their normal food with treats and not putting on excess weight then it's ok.

ProfessionalPirate Tue 14-Feb-17 09:08:48

If she is currently overweight, she needs to be steadily losing weight not just staying the same. For a lab at her age this needs to be done by concentrating on diet rather than increasing exercise.

What are the 'healthy chews' she is getting? Could you cut them down to 1 a day? I don't imagine throwing the schmacko pieces is going to be contributing much to her daily exercise levels. They are quite good for breaking up into small bits for training and games though.

Nothing wrong with a few treats, but the overall calorie intake needs to be right and it sounds for your dog like it's still a bit too high.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:11:40

I am guilty of giving treats. Their little pleading faces...

OP, slightly different note but I would highly recommend a maze feeding bowl for a lab at mealtimes. Makes the whole experience longer, and they have to work a little for their food.

Blackbird82 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:13:58

If you want to make her work for her food, throw her kibble (breakfast/dinner) around the garden. I sometimes do that with mine and they absolutely love it!

It's a great game, they really have to use their nose and burn off some energy doing it.

pigsDOfly Tue 14-Feb-17 13:29:17

Yes, because she gets rewarded for training, but I'm careful about the type of treats I give her.

Having said that she does self regulates her food intake anyway, so if she's full she will leave what she does need; it does make it a lot easier to keep her weight stable.

pigsDOfly Tue 14-Feb-17 13:29:57

*leave what she doesn't need

tabulahrasa Tue 14-Feb-17 14:29:30

I give him higher value stuff than his own food as a training reward, and things to chew on/eat if he's being left.

But I account for them by cutting his dry food.

He's got joint problems, it'd be cruel to have him carrying any extra weight at all - so I have him as lean as possible.

They might like treats, but if you're overfeeding because you're not counting them as part of their food and they're overweight - you're not doing them a favour by giving them treats.

ProfessionalPirate Tue 14-Feb-17 14:56:49

Just realised I misread the OP, thought it said dog was overweight, realise now it says not overweight. Sorry!

KinkyAfro Tue 14-Feb-17 15:30:27

No but I do give her cooked veg in between her meals and mixed with her food....means I'm not using as much of her food and she's gone from 38 kg (following cruciate surgery) to 31 kg. Couple more to go and she'll be perfect and not starving

user1468957349 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:32:16

Mine get a piece of raw carrot each day as a treat and love it. So much better than the artificial chews you can buy and really good for their teeth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now