Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed, over or under stimulation

(5 Posts)
Cocobananas Mon 13-Feb-17 14:58:45

Our eight month pup is lovely. Good at night, friendly with other dogs and all people she meets. Reliable with house training, eats well, mostly well behaved...BUT she doesn't settle well during the day, is always looking for the next thing to do, be it her walks(2 a day), a play session, Kong, meals.
I think this may be my fault since she was a hyper puppy and so I have kept quite a strict routine going and so she has become used to certain things happening at certain times. For example, after her morning walk, if I stay at home and do jobs etc she sleeps for a short while and then keeps asking to go out into the garden where she gets bored if I don't go out there with her and starts digging. She is then progressively more restless throughout the day. If I go out shopping or errands she sleeps while I am gone for up to two hours and is also more chilled the rest of the day.
She does seem to need a lot of stimulation but also gets very tired but won't rest. After a brushing session and a chewy is settled throughout the evening from 6 or 7 pm and seems delighted to get into her bed at 10pm.
I don't know if I should be doing more with her or actually more ignoring. Advice would be much appreciated.

TrionicLettuce Mon 13-Feb-17 18:59:11

It sounds like she might simply not know how to switch off, at least during the day presumably when you're doing things. It doesn't always come naturally to some dogs but you absolutely can teach her how to relax more at home when you're not interacting with her.

This is an excellent video on the subject.

applesareredandgreen Mon 13-Feb-17 21:00:00

Coco my 8 month puppy is exactly the same. On days when I am at work he will sleep in his crate but on the days I'm home, and particularly when we are all home he does seem to want constant stimulation. Interestingly when I sit down to relax e.g. With book, iPad he comes and barks at me so I keep getting up to see what he wants, food, a game etc whereas DS will ignore him and he goes to sleep!

TattyCat Mon 13-Feb-17 21:30:13

Aaah, this is hard! I have a 3 1/2 yr old rescue lab and I've made a rod for my own back grin I'm pulling it back a bit now and teaching her to relax a bit but her routine has been very much 'wake up, go for walk, eat, sleep for a bit, play, play and play a bit more (but not alone!), go for another walk, eat, sleep then play and bedtime. It has to change, for my sanity.

I'm with her pretty much 24/7 and have only left her for an hour or so a few times in the 4 months we've had her, but I need to start increasing that and ignoring her a bit because it's too intense. I can't think of any more ways of entertaining her!

If I think back to the dogs my parents have had, they were pretty much ignored unless they were out on their 1xhr walk twice a day although again, never really alone much in the house. They coped but I used to think they looked quite bored, really...

Cocobananas Mon 13-Feb-17 22:01:42

Trionic thank you, having lurked on here quite a lot in recent months I have seen the capturing calmness video and tried it. My pup is really good at lying still and waiting if she knows what's next i.e., when I am having a shower before going out for walk, happy to be near me while I do some jobs. Happy to snooze as long as I am not around disturbing her but as soon as I move back into the kitchen or out of my chair or back into house from garden she is alert and wanting action even if tired from a walk or recently had a short training session or bit of play.
TattyCat my sympathies, previous pups we've had did not seem so all encompassing and needy. Think that was when children young and pup had to just fit in. Think that fitting in is what I am struggling with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now