Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dogs left in cars

(21 Posts)
sobeyondthehills Fri 10-Feb-17 08:03:17

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me, for if it happens again.

Last night, I took my son to an after school club as I got home I saw a guy let his dog out on the green, and put the dog back in the car, lock the car and wonder off. Didn't think much of it, an hour later, I went to go pick my son up, car and dog were still there, it was dark and it was freezing. We went out about half an hour later and the car had gone.

However I see this a lot where I live, and just wondered if there are any rules with leaving dogs in cold weather. I have had a google and they all seem to talk about hot weather.

Thanks for any help

PhoenixJasmine Fri 10-Feb-17 08:16:51

That's because a hot car can kill very quickly - in cold weather there really isn't a problem. Dogs can cope very well in cold conditions. It sounds like this was quite a long time - but you don't know if this was a one off, or how the dog reacts to being alone or being in the car. Unless he/she was showing signs of distress then there really isn't a problem.

AndShesGone Fri 10-Feb-17 08:19:26

Well me and my dog sat in the car with the engine off for over an hour last night. She was warmer than me! What with that fur coat grin

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 10-Feb-17 08:19:35

Dogs used to sleep in Kennels, and I think some farm dogs probably still do, so as Phoenix says, they must beable to cope with cold weather.

BiteyShark Fri 10-Feb-17 08:21:05

Hot day then that is very wrong. Cold day ok if dog doesn't look unduly upset as I think dogs have a higher body temp and of course a furry coat to keep them warm.

sobeyondthehills Fri 10-Feb-17 08:21:58

Thanks phoenix

I understood that it was more dangerous in hot weather. The dog seemed fine, but I didn't want to get too close, incase that might cause some anxiety to the dog (me looking through the window type thing.) I probably wouldn't of noticed the dog in the car, if I hadn't been there as the dog was getting into the car and the owner walking off.

sobeyondthehills Fri 10-Feb-17 08:25:43

It was a very fluffy coat, lovely looking dog.

I think my reason for asking is because (sorry drip feed) I live opposite a big hospital, and we get cars being abandoned for a few days, an example is a van that has been parked on double yellows getting tickets for 2 days now.

Obviously if I knew a dog was stuck in a car for a long period of time, I would let someone know, but was unsure, what the rules were for cold weather. Because my car is like an ice box if you turn the engine off for any length of time

SparklingRaspberry Fri 10-Feb-17 08:45:20

I would never leave my dog in the car regardless of whether it was winter or summer.

You may as well just leave them at home with their bed and toys etc instead of leaving them alone in the car.

I'd feel a bit off about it, just like you OP

ProfessionalPirate Fri 10-Feb-17 15:27:55

Do you know the breed? You say it had a 'fluffy coat' so it was probably fine. Many of our modern breeds have been bred to cope with extremely low temperatures. Some would even cope better in a cold car than a centrally heated home. You only know that it was there for an hour, which is not an excessive amount of time.

Bluebellevergreen Fri 10-Feb-17 15:29:27

I think it is illegal in my country. But it is a warm climate. Dont know the rules here

sobeyondthehills Fri 10-Feb-17 15:48:05

It was a German Shepard and yes it probably would of been fine for the hour or so it was in the car.

However, like I say, I see cars being left a lot of the time here and while common sense says if you know a dog has been stuck in a car for a long period of time, then call someone, or if it is very hot, make sure you get the dog out, but I wonder if there is a rule about dogs in cold weather.

BiteyShark Fri 10-Feb-17 15:54:26

I suspect if the dog is safe and has their needs met e.g. Not hot, not left for hours without food and water and not agitated then I can't see any problem in them being in a car as opposed to a shut room in a house.

As to being cold if they looked a furry breed (which a GS is) and were not visibly shivering I would think they were ok.

ProfessionalPirate Fri 10-Feb-17 16:57:26

There's no 'rule' as such, no (i.e the RSPCA wouldn't respond to this in isolation). There is a large community of shooting folk where I live. A lot of them regularly keep their gundogs in their landys overnight in the middle of winter, it's standard practice. Now I personally don't agree with that at all, but a couple of hours for a thick-coated breed isn't going to do any harm.

I sometimes leave my spaniel in the car for up to an hour or so when we're out and about (except for warm days) and I know he would much rather that than be left at home and miss out on all the fun - although I do put his thick quilted coat on when it's cold. I also have his boot kitted out with a soft bed and lots of blankets, water bowl etc. He loves being in the car and will immediately jump in to any open door ready for an adventure.

sobeyondthehills Fri 10-Feb-17 17:38:20

Thank you all so much for your replies.

SparklingRaspberry Fri 10-Feb-17 18:06:55

I have a German shepherd puppy, and have had this breed in the past, and can't imagine leaving them in the car. Ever. sad

ProfessionalPirate Fri 10-Feb-17 18:59:14

Surely it's ok to leave them for short periods sparklingraspberry? Weather allowing of course. I'm an ambulatory vet and I take my dog on pretty much all my calls. Most of the time he'll be let out to play with the client's dogs etc. occasionally he'll have to stay in the car. I operate across the yorkshire moors, so between calls I'll frequently get him out for a good run. At weekends we'll often have a big daytrip eg to the beach, but I might need to pop in to the shop while I'm passing for dinner ingredients on my way back and leave him in the car. I live a 40+min round trip from nearest food shop, so couldn't justify dropping him off home then going back out. I think my dog has a great life. Possibly better than some dogs that just lie around at home all day waiting for their 2/3 identical walks. Would you disagree?

boybabies Fri 10-Feb-17 19:05:53

Couldn't agree more Pirate.
I work in law enforcement, many friends have failed police dogs as pets. They accompany them everywhere, have adequate provision in the car - water, bedding etc and have a great life. Far better than being left behind.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 10-Feb-17 19:06:18

Not a problem. When we go and see MIL I will take my dog (not in the summer). Dog not allowed in the house so has to stay in the car. She is fine. I do put her fleece onesie on her when cold and go and see her/let her out at frequent intervals buts its better than been left at home for twelve hours. I wouldn't do it when it's warm. MIL lives on a farm so car is safe away from people in the farm yard.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 10-Feb-17 19:08:06

She's not by herself in the car for twelve hours by the way, maybe from 2pm to 7pm.

pigsDOfly Fri 10-Feb-17 19:13:52

I have a small fluffy dog and often, when the house is very warm on a cold evening, she'll take herself out into the garden and lie down on the path to cool off.

Would never leave her in the car on her own though regardless of weather, I'd be afraid she'd be stolen.

Inadither Fri 10-Feb-17 21:06:28

My parents leave their dog in the car overnight when they visit family. She won't settle otherwise and is quite happy there as it's familiar. In someone else's house, she fidgets and howls through the night. Look at her in the car and she's curled up asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now