Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Greyhound in a flat?

(5 Posts)
MustBookADentistAppointment Thu 09-Feb-17 13:47:20

After a lot my campaign, I think I'll soon be able to take a greyhound into my office.

The problem is that I live in a one bed ground floor flat. I have a small patio which I could AstroTurf for the dog to use, but is this fair? I've looked after greyhounds a lot and they've never needed much more than a daily walk, lots of love and affection and somewhere comfy to sleep - but I want them to be happy with their loo arrangements - in my experience they need to go a lot.

What do you think?

MustBookADentistAppointment Thu 09-Feb-17 13:47:53

Should say 'after a long campaign'!

Scuttlebutter Thu 09-Feb-17 23:00:30

If you live in a flat, any rescue you adopt from will want to see written evidence that you have your landlord's permission, but other than that there is no issue at all. I'm slightly puzzled by your statement that they "need to go a lot" - I don't think they need to wee any more or any less than any similar sized dog. Our house is a newbuild and so typically, has a postage stamp garden (much of which has pond, shrubs etc) yet our hounds manage perfectly fine. I know at least two multi hound households who have put astroturf down and it works well. Regular cleaning with hosepipe to get rid of smells etc. but in any case your dog will be getting plenty of daily exercise as well as being at work with you, so won't be spending hours at home.

luckylambchop Fri 10-Feb-17 11:24:41

I don't see why it would be a major issue so long as the dog was getting exercise elsewhere. I suppose the only thing is it won't be able to run anywhere unless you can get it to off lead status and have a secure space for that.

I'm assuming the patio area is fenced as rescues are very keen on 6ft fencing!

piginboots Fri 10-Feb-17 20:43:06

Personally I wouldn't get a greyhound unless I had access to somewhere it could have a run once a week or more, but that doesn't have to be your garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now