Talk

Advanced search

Best Pet Insurance?

(10 Posts)
Strongerthanme Tue 07-Feb-17 14:02:55

Hi all
Want to change my pet insurance for my dog. Currently using Direct Line & paying £27 a month approx. is that expensive? I think it is.
The excess is £60 - he's a Jack Russell - 6 years old-
Don't want to go on one of these 'compare the market things' as prefer to hear people's experiences & ideas. Thanks all
🐕🐩🐶

BiteyShark Tue 07-Feb-17 15:15:11

I pay around just over £30 for a spaniel puppy from Petplan on one of their covered for life policies. Have made one claim which was taken care of by emergency out of hours vet and money paid back to me very quickly so can't fault them at the moment.

My excess is £85 so I guess that is dearer than what you are paying. The cover is for £4K each year but it is the covered for life I like given my puppy is so young and you never know what might crop up as he gets older.

Orangebird69 Tue 07-Feb-17 15:21:50

Not dogs but I have 2 cats and they're insured with Pet plan. £32 a month fo both, for life cover with £70 excess. They're 10yo now.

LaGattaNera Tue 07-Feb-17 19:12:52

OP that doesn't seem dear to me at all depending on level of cover and £60 excess is pretty good - I know Tesco do £60 excess but many do £100 plus 10% of vet fees and even getting quotes last week for a 4 year old small dog that I might adopt the quotes were higher than yours. How much is each condition covered for as that makes a massive difference. Found Tesco very good personally and quick to pay out.

Goodgriefisitginfizzoclock Tue 07-Feb-17 19:15:09

NFU (National Farmers Union) two dogs always paid quickly been with them for 15years

SparklingRaspberry Tue 07-Feb-17 20:17:11

It depends.

The quote I would get would be different to yours.

Your dog is older than mine so it would therefore be more expensive.

However I've always used Sainsbury's and have found them to be great c

MrsWooster Wed 08-Feb-17 08:43:54

We pay £3 each per month for our young cats w Equine and Livestock- no claiming experience yet, thank gods.

empirerecordsrocked Wed 08-Feb-17 08:52:29

Have a look at compare the market just to get an idea of what available. I've just changed mine from M&S to legal and general - 6yo cairn for £24pm, for the cover that will pay for any ongoing conditions.

Previously with more than - who we had to make a claim with - and were great and then M&S. only changed as M&S policy went up to £32.

MoonlightMojitos Sat 11-Feb-17 13:07:14

My dog has been with more than since he was 10 weeks old, now 9 and a half. It started at about £12/month and has gone up every year and is now £37/month. I would highly recommend them and they do pay out for long term illnesses unlike some insurers. My sisters dog got epilepsy and they only paid out for the meds for 1 year and then that was that. We only claimed for the first time last year when he needed tests and a scan for heart disease which came to nearly £1000 and they paid the vet direct in less than 2 weeks. Now he's on tablets which I pay the vet £30/month for and claim back every 3 months from insurance which goes straight into my bank account in about a week. My excess is 10% for that existing claim (so they pay me back £27 a month for the tablets). Any new claims are £70 plus 10% I think now that he's older, it was a smaller excess before he turned 7.

user1468957349 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:11:08

In terms of experience with insurers, I've found John Lewis to be exceptional. Bad experience with Animal Friends which is a shame as their ethical stance is appealing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now