Talk

Advanced search

Puppy in season staying with a male dog?

(9 Posts)
RebeccatheOld Mon 06-Feb-17 08:35:27

Our puppy came into season last Sunday (29 Jan). We are going away for the evening on 17th Feb and had planned to leave our pup overnight with my parents. My parents have an adult male dog who has been neutered.

From what I understand this will be about the time she is really ready to mate (not that we will obviously), so I wondered if it was sensible for us to leave her with my parents dog or if it will wind him up too much? She already follows him around like glue...

What do you think? Am I being over cautious?

(we will get her spayed but our vet advised to wait until after the first season)

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 06-Feb-17 08:37:45

If he has been neutered more than 6 weeks ago it will be fine. She may badger him to do something about her situation, but that is about it.

Stormwhale Mon 06-Feb-17 08:38:17

He has been neutered? Or is that a typo? If he has been neutered it's fine.

Userone1 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:39:33

He could still try to mate with her.

I would keep them apart.

FannyWisdom Mon 06-Feb-17 08:40:53

She may tease him.
Is there an option to keep them apart?

MrSlant Mon 06-Feb-17 08:41:26

Our girl came into season (before she was spayed) and hassled boy dog, he'd been neutered a year or so before and just looked very puzzled by the whole affair. She certainly got no joy although I think she did try to hump him a few times much to the families amusement. If your parents dog is unlikely to get cross with extra attention then it should be fine (although this is in my limited experience, we might have been lucky).

tabulahrasa Mon 06-Feb-17 08:52:07

Some neutered males are still interested in in season bitches, do it may well affect his behaviour...

Some neutered males will actually do the full deed as well, there'd be no puppies to be fair.

dalmatianmad Mon 06-Feb-17 08:56:53

My boy dalmatian has been neutered but haven't got round to doing the girl yet....
We don't have any issues when she comes into season, he tries to sniff round her back end and she growls at him and he runs a mile grin

RebeccatheOld Mon 06-Feb-17 13:10:11

Thanks all for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now