Talk

Advanced search

Whippet dew claws

(9 Posts)
Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 04-Feb-17 19:34:00

Whippet puppy is 11 weeks old and from established KC breeder etc. All good. He's gorgeous.

Breeder took the litter to have dew claws removed at a few days old as is usual. Somehow the vet missed some of the claws and they've grown back - breeder v unhappy and took £100 off price.

Now puppy would need a GA to have removed. I don't care but I'm concerned about them getting infected. One was a bit red the other day but seems ok now.

Will I just have to watch them all the time? Should I bite the bullet and have them removed? Don't want to do this!

Any experiences. I had no idea about dew claws

toboldlygo Sat 04-Feb-17 20:25:13

Are these front or hind leg dewclaws?

Catch583 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:53:54

Leave them. Most dogs have their dew claws and they very rarely cause any trouble. Those in your pic are too small to catch on anything.

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 04-Feb-17 21:00:59

They're front

toboldlygo Sat 04-Feb-17 23:42:01

Leave them, they're meant to be there! It is absolutely not usual to have them routinely removed as puppies.

Floralnomad Sun 05-Feb-17 00:22:06

I would imagine its a minority of breeders that still have dew claws removed , it's really not normal .

Girlwhowearsglasses Sun 05-Feb-17 00:25:28

I think it's more common for whippets and sight hounds because of the running at 35mph and damaging them - they tend to be quite wobbly and easily caught with long thin legs. They don't show them with dew claws AFAIK.

I'm not for procedures like this ordinarily at all at all so I'll just watch him. Thanks for the advice

Floralnomad Sun 05-Feb-17 00:33:31

The kennel club does not support the routine removal of dew claws and having them removed is not in the breed standard for any breed , personally I think it should go the same way as docking , particularly the fact that they can be removed without anaesthetic if done before the pups eyes open .

olliegarchy99 Sun 05-Feb-17 07:46:48

dew claws can be a problem in lurchers (so assume this applies to whippets and greys) as my 'lurch' has problems (he is 13) with an ingrowing dewclaw on his front leg which needed vet treatment as it curled round and grew into the leg. That said my previous lurcher had no such problems hmm
Best to keep an eye on them and keep them short when other claws are trimmed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now