Talk

Advanced search

Dogs on a hard floor

(13 Posts)
sotiredbutworthit Sat 04-Feb-17 18:33:27

Just a quick question, my dogs shred every single bed they have ever been given. Now they sleep in their crate on towels and have nothing in the kitchen where they spend a lot of their time (they drag the towels outside and "play with them"). They will be ok right? Am I being overly protective?! Thanks!

BiteyShark Sat 04-Feb-17 18:58:37

We have only hard floors but do provide a few cushions for him to lie on as he prefers that to the hard floor.

Are you worried about them waking on hard floors or just not having any beds?

JustAnotherPoster00 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:03:21

My dog tends to prefer the hard floor, he has the choice of any surface he so desires but to sleep always chooses the floor

Purplefrogshoes Sat 04-Feb-17 19:03:37

My lab has destroyed every bed we have bought him. He sleeps on blankets in his hard plastic bed or crate although most nights he seems to just sleep on the hall carpet outside dd's room

Mominatrix Sat 04-Feb-17 19:16:11

Have you thought about crate mats or Vet bedding - there is no stuffing in vet bedding yet it is comfortable and better than a hard floor (like a very plush carpet).

sotiredbutworthit Sat 04-Feb-17 19:28:39

Mominatrix where would I get that from? Thanks all for your replies. I'm just worried they aren't comfortable on the hard floor!

Mominatrix Sat 04-Feb-17 19:37:22

Amazon, Fetch, any pet website will sell it. It is cheap and washable.

Mominatrix Sat 04-Feb-17 19:40:45

Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vet+bedding&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Fetch:fetch.co.uk/search?entry=crate+mat

pet planet: www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=137

Loads of different option.

Wolfiefan Sat 04-Feb-17 19:42:26

We use vet bed. I would worry about callouses forming on a dog that slept for hours on a hard surface. I got mine through Amazon. Cheap and easy to replace if it is wrecked. Also easily washable.

BiteyShark Sat 04-Feb-17 19:44:16

I have a crate bed (and another bed on top of that grin). The crate bed doesn't really have any visible seems and sits flush with the bottom of the crate so I imagine would be harder for your dogs to destroy but is so much nicer than the metal floor of the crate to lay on.

sotiredbutworthit Sat 04-Feb-17 20:01:11

Brilliant!! Thanks all!! I know they are dogs but I do worry about them!!!

1frenchfoodie Sat 04-Feb-17 20:03:58

It depends how much time they spend in their crate vs on a hard floor and how heavy they are but spending too much time on hard floors car result in callouses. Our lab got elbow callouses when we rented a place with laminate floors and he refused to sleep on his bed (hot weather, we think he was cooler and more comfy on the floor) so it is worth trying to find something.

MardAsSnails Sun 05-Feb-17 11:58:24

I'm too soft but all my rescues have multiple callluses from too many years pre living with us of Hard floors

We've just kinda accepted that we have a shredder. Two are fine and love their beds. One eats everything. She's on bed nr 7 in 19 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: