Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crufts with a child

(14 Posts)
Flippetydip Sat 04-Feb-17 08:18:24

We try and take our DC away one on one for a weekend each year. I get DD (6 years old) this year. She is absolutely dog mad. Has anyone taken a child to Crufts - would it be an enjoyable day for her? If not, any other suggestions to appease her dog obsession?!

BiteyShark Sat 04-Feb-17 09:07:30

Haven't been with a child but it does get very very busy and at times claustrophobic and hard to get round.

However saying that earlier on in the day much less busy and going round the discovery bit where all the dog breeds are would I imagine be fun for a DC.

LumelaMme Sat 04-Feb-17 16:28:22

I went more than 40 years ago as a small child (about the age of yours) and I bloody loved it. Still remember it now! It was tiring, though.

Scuttlebutter Sun 05-Feb-17 00:50:03

You might find Discover Dogs is a better option - held at ExCel in the autumn each year, still run by the KC, but with a focus more on that side of things rather than the showing etc.

Crufts is enormous and it gets incredibly crowded and busy. The shopping area in particular is a sea of people.

Another option might be to go to Olympia at Christmas - although it's a horse show, the displays are very family friendly and they have lots of dog events (agility comps etc) plus some very nice shopping for both horses and dogs which is a bit less hectic. And it has a magical pre Christmas feel.

LonginesPrime Sun 05-Feb-17 01:45:23

I would've thought it would be against the rules, but if no-one notices, I guess you might get away with it.

Since your DD is 6, she could potentially do quite well at the obedience round, depending on the competition.

I wouldn't bother with the agility round at that age though, in case she gets stuck in one of those little hoops - plus, as Lumela says, she was absolutely exhausted when her parents entered her as a child...

LumelaMme Sun 05-Feb-17 20:47:40

grin

Flippetydip Mon 06-Feb-17 11:50:18

Longines grin

Yes, that was my fear that it might be very busy. It's a shame we can't go on the Friday rather than the Saturday or Sunday - I assume that would be quieter?

Reow Thu 09-Feb-17 10:43:56

I wouldn't. It's manic. Unless you can afford hospitality tickets to go somewhere a bit calmer/have reserved seating.

Soubriquet Thu 09-Feb-17 10:46:07

I've been to crufts quite a few times in the last few years and I am looking forward to going when my two are big enough.

6 I think is old enough. But make sure they are happy to hold your hand as it does get very busy. It always amazed me when people took babies in pushchairs because it must have been a nightmare to navigate it around the crowds

MistyMeena Thu 09-Feb-17 10:52:32

I second Discover Dogs at the Excel centre. They have Crufts-like agility competitions and displays, and you can stroke about 200 different breeds. We went on a Sunday and it was busy but not manic.

mrslaughan Thu 09-Feb-17 20:36:16

There are bits that are really busy - and some bits that are not. And you can sit and watch obedience, and agility classes which I imagine would be fun for a dog loving child.
I would say if you do go - be aware that you can't go up to the dogs on the benches (where the dogs that are being shown wait) - but there is a section that has lots of diff breeds - that's the place to go and meet dogs.

user1468957349 Fri 10-Feb-17 06:56:51

We take my partners DCs every year and they love it. Have been since his DS was 7 and DD was 4. Yes it's busy and crowded but there is so much for them to see and do. They love the arena activities where you are seated anyway and love Discover Dogs where they can meet all the different breeds and give them a stroke. They also enjoy taking their pocket money to spend on the stalls. Crufts entry staff will give you a lost child wrist band on the way in where you fill in your details so they can contact you if you do become separated. I think it's a great day out and fantastic way of educating children about dogs.
Only thing I'd warn is its huge (5 halls plus the main arena) so make sure you are both in comfy clothes / shoes and food / drinks are expensive so take some snacks.
I'm gutted, first year in about 8 years I won't be going but will have a newborn this year and I have to draw the line somewhere - I think it might be a bit much! smile
Enjoy!

Flippetydip Fri 10-Feb-17 09:31:35

Thanks everyone! Totally mixed opinions there although I am tempted by the idea of Discover Dogs. user congrats on your new baby.

Inadither Fri 10-Feb-17 21:13:28

I'm going on my own with my 3 and 5 year olds this year. There are supposed to be some children's activities going on too. I plan on taking the buckle carrier for the 3 year old as know there will be crowds. The 5 year old will be happy to hold my hand. First time going and the tickets were a bit of an impulse buy as we're hoping to meet some breeders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now