Talk

Advanced search

This may be a silly question but is my dog sleeping too much?

(8 Posts)
DannyOD Fri 03-Feb-17 11:30:49

She is crate trained, so when we get up she gets out of her crate, goes outside to the loo, has her breakfast, wanders about for a bit, then gets in her bed and goes back to sleep, we go for a walk about half ten, then we have a little play time with her toys when she gets back, she then potters about for a bit and will generally have another sleep about half two, we go out for a walk again about half three, come back - more play, kids get home and fuss her, she has her tea about five and then usually about 6.30 she is back in her bed where she snoozes all evening until I take her out for a wee and she goes in her crate for the night. Is that a lot of sleeping or normal? She is my first dog - I have only had cats before so don't now what's usual.

BiteyShark Fri 03-Feb-17 12:49:04

How old is the dog? My puppy can sleep for that amount of time so I would say sounds ok to me.

Eolian Fri 03-Feb-17 12:50:55

My dog sleeps about that much and he's a big, energetic two year-old pointer. Basically two full-on walks a day, a bit of pottering and a lot of sleeping!

DannyOD Fri 03-Feb-17 13:55:06

Thanks guys - she is a 2 year old chi.

LaGattaNera Fri 03-Feb-17 18:10:32

Doesn't sound abnormal to me - she is getting alot of play and walks and attention all of which will tire her out plus she potters about. If she is happy and her usual sleep and eating/drinking as normal, I think she is probably just worn out! Many dogs like their sleep. Bet some owners would love to have your "problem" so many say their dogs are non-stop. She sounds lovely.

DannyOD Sat 04-Feb-17 10:23:18

Aahh, thank you. I was just worried that she was bored and I wasn't giving her enough stimulation. I work from home so although I am there I am sitting in front of the laptop and am not exactly exciting company!!

BiteyShark Sat 04-Feb-17 12:56:58

Ha I don't think they sleep when they are bored they just destroy anything they can get their teeth on grin

GinIsIn Sun 05-Feb-17 14:57:45

The smaller the dog, the more sleep they tend to need - some smaller breeds can need 16-18 hours' sleep a day! Sounds about right really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now