Talk

Advanced search

Weeing

(29 Posts)
phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:27:55

My dog is a 4 yo yorkiepoo. He has always weed on peoples shoes when they say hello to him, also whenever we in the family come in - hes overexcited basically.

Now he has started weeing in his crate at night confusedconfused I let him out at 11pm then again at 6.30am (although hes not desperate he takes some minutes to wake up before going out)
My feeling is its some sort of protest about going in his crate, he sleeps on my sons bed any chance he gets, hes a stubborn personality & tried to bite me when I put him to bed last night!

What can I do? Its affecting my relationship with him, making the house stink etc

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:31:31

Anyone?

Adory Thu 02-Feb-17 16:35:47

Hi, is he getting enough exercise during the day? Could you give me a run through of his daily routine please?

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:43:29

Wakes 6.30
Walk 9-10
On his own 10 - 1pm
Walk 2.30/3.15
Sleeps all evening/night

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:46:43

I have not told him off for weeing in his crate btw (as when he does excited wees I ignore it incase it makes it worse) and I praise him for weeing outside although hes been house trained several years!! So maybe he just thinks its acceptable to wee in the crate?

Adory Thu 02-Feb-17 17:58:05

Does he get the walk time or do the walks occur during those times i.e. He gets 1hour45 mins walk a day?

The peeing on feet i guess is because he's jumping up so his pee shooter is pointing at feet of the person, this is likely just excited/nervous peeing. Something that won't happen if he's not jumping up or likely won't happen if he's not getting fussed while jumping up. (Obviously making some assumptions there!)

The peeing in the crate, I guess is due to him not being tired enough for full nights sleep (either way the rule is - a tired dog is a good dog - in my house). I'd up his play time at home so there's no reason he's not tired.
If he has water in his crate it may be worth limiting this safely i.e. Don't make him bonkers before bed so he's thirsty and laps it up. If he's put out in the garden to toilet before bed (which he needs to be made to go out even if he doesn't want to - to avoid conflict give a treat to go out so it's his choice to go get the treat (this is what I do for my lazy dog who can't hold it for long periods) and sneakily watch him, when he pees let him in with a praise and another small treat thrown into the crate.

Biting - very slippery slope. He does not respect you, mine has never snapped but did used to grumble at my ex on occasion if he was comfy and didn't want to go out. I act excited 'ohhhh what's this?' Emphasis on the whaTSSS thiSSSSS?? And look excited about it. He should be very interested to see exactly what it is!! And stinky treats best to start til he gets the hang of it.

Will take a week to get the routine I reckon. Hope this helps!

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:48:18

Thanks Adory
Yes approx those times, hes not a runner though his fave thing to do is sniff about in forest/river bed area so perhaps hes not tired. I do his main walk in the morning as that's when I have time before work but perhaps if later he be more tired. Hes lazy & will just sleep if left. So you think hes waking in the night because he's not tired & weeing then? Hes always asleep when I come down though & doesn't come out straight away, he stretches & yawns for ages then asks to go out.
Re weeing on feet - vet said submissive urination & he'd grow out of it but that was 2/3 years ago shock
He still wees if you don't stroke him/look at him which vet suggested coming in very calmly which we do now but he still wees out of excitement I think rather than submissiveness?? I wish he'd bloody calm down!!!! Hes either sleepy or overexcited 😬
No water in his crate.
Im going to try going out with him tonight to make sure he is having a wee. Hes very sneaky - if I give him a treat for going out he just asks to go out a million times, walks behind the bush & then comes back in again grin he thinks Im stupid clearly grin

Adory Thu 02-Feb-17 18:58:16

Yes possibly if he's disturbed during the night or not tired enough. Also if it's just little pee then could just be 'scenting' so worth not putting heavily perfumed spray on bed in crate or heavily scented detergent. It's trial and error sometimes.

Could you film him one night to see what he's doing in there? Might seem OTT but might give you an insight that will crack it straight away.

I know someone with a phantom squatter - her female dog would go out and squat but not pee in order to be let in for a treat ha! Crafty little blighters!

Could help if he's castrated, maybe speak to the vet again - the peeing when you come home is common for excitement reasons. Training can be easy or excruciating, depends on your time, tolerance and knowledge. Definitely worth a free phone call to the vets who should be able to offer limited behaviour advice.

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:22:09

I am cleaning the tray with cleaning spray and obviously have to clean the floor a lot where we come in so perhaps hes started to object to cleaning smells??
I could try filming him with my phone I guess, youre right its be interesting to see what hes up to.
What he'd really love is a playmate but I defo not getting another one!

phoeb3 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:22:42

He was castrated around 6 months

Adory Thu 02-Feb-17 22:05:38

If you clean with biological washing machine powder it's the best for removing smell.
Let me know how you get on 🙂

CherryBlini Thu 02-Feb-17 23:06:09

Is there a reason he needs to be in the crate at night! Could you try him just on his soft bed minus a crate? See if he were then

phoeb3 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:08:00

And risk him weeing in the bed/carpet?? No at least its contained to the crate

ChairRider4 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:33:30

I would put him on lead and walk round block or even on lead in garden so you can be sure having a wee

CherryBlini Fri 03-Feb-17 10:33:26

He could be weeing because he's confined to the crate? He's hardly a puppy is he? Anyway, just a suggestion

phoeb3 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:28:30

Is there a point where youre supposed to stop using a crate?

Adory Fri 03-Feb-17 14:05:47

I never used a crate, well I tried but my strong willed puppy broke free the first use so gave up and use it for car rides only.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Feb-17 14:14:12

You've just reminded me of my dog who used to wee on people's feet - it was a nightmare and he never grew out of it. Did it to a woman in the park once because she showed him some attention. Thankfully she was very understanding, I on the other hand was mortified.

No advice really, sorry!

BiteyShark Fri 03-Feb-17 14:16:52

I would try and film him first and see if he is awake and peeing so you know what he is doing in the night. I have a baby monitor that I use to watch my dog when he is in his crate so I can see if he is restless or not.

leighdinglady Fri 03-Feb-17 14:28:03

Maybe a trip to the vet. He should be able to hold it over night.

pigsDOfly Fri 03-Feb-17 15:16:08

Was also going to suggest getting him checked out by the vet. Any change in behaviour needs looking into.

CherryBlini Fri 03-Feb-17 15:50:03

Most people stop using crates after puppyhood, yes. Some don't for various reasons but unless you need to confine him each evening then id probably give it a try

However, it's not my carpets grin

TheLaundryLady Sat 04-Feb-17 00:37:16

I would have a trip to the vets to rule out any physical problems - urine infection / diabetes etc

phoeb3 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:03:41

So the vet says thetrs nothing wrong.
I got rid of the crate & hes now sleeping on ds bed at night, no weeing as far as i can tell, all good. Dont really want him on the beds but anyway its better than coming down to a house stinking of piss every morning.
Then this morning i went to put his lead on for a walk ,he was lying in his bed, and he just weed in his bed!!!!!!! What the heck is going on with him. He then refused to budge & just sat in his own urine. Is it normal for dogs to lie in their own wee? I think i need a dog psychologist confused

BiteyShark Tue 07-Feb-17 10:07:10

No it's not normal for a dog to want to mess his own bed. Yes to a dog behaviouralist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now