Talk

Advanced search

Another question about greyhounds....

(6 Posts)
Flippetydip Thu 02-Feb-17 10:36:12

OK, sorry, now I've found you lot (so much more friendly than the other pages on MN!!) I'm afraid I'm going to be spending some time here whilst we're looking for our dog and bombarding you with questions!

I'm fairly convinced we don't want to go down the puppy route as I'm assuming there are plenty of dogs that need a home anyway. From research it seems there are loads of greyhounds needing rehoming. I know they don't need masses of exercise but my question is (finally!) - would they be happy to go for a long romp on the moors if the occasion arose?

tabulahrasa Thu 02-Feb-17 13:07:01

Greyhounds will do as much walking as you want to do with them and enjoy it, it's just that unlike other breeds they'll not get bored and frustrated if they only get half an hour.

They'll probably need to be appropriately dressed though, they've got thin skin and fur and no body fat, so cold and wet is an issue for them and undergrowth can be as well as they get cuts easily.

But a nice jacket and a gradual build of fitness and they're up for anything.

luckylambchop Thu 02-Feb-17 16:35:47

Ours is happy with a long walk, we do 2 hours most mornings but longer at a weekend if we're all in the mood. We haven't tried it yet but I think he'd do an all day walk so long as refreshments were provided!

If the weather is very bad though he won't go out at all and has had days where he has only moved from the sofa to go to the toilet in the garden!

Adory Thu 02-Feb-17 16:40:19

Forever Hounds Trust - great minds of information. Very difficult (but necessary) adoption process.

PacificDogwod Thu 02-Feb-17 16:42:11

Yes!

They can walk for miles and miles, no bother.

IME they only have 2 gears though - slow or unfuckingbelievably fast! grin

Flippetydip Thu 02-Feb-17 16:52:19

That's great to know - thank you all smile

Yes, I have been in touch with Forever Hounds Trust - just waiting for them to get back to me after my second ream of questions to them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now