Talk

Advanced search

Please help: returning puppy

(105 Posts)
feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:01:52

Hi all
I'm currently feeling like a horrible human. We bought a golden lab yesterday. Myself and my partner had dogs growing up but not since we've been living together. We also have a 4 month old DS.
We love the puppy! He's got a gorgeous temperment, obviously painfully cute and all round a lovely pup.
The problem we're having is that it seems my son may have had a reaction to the dog. When we introduced them yesterday, the pup licked DS arm before we could stop him. Not long after, DS had runny nose and eyes, sneezing, seemed to have a wheeze of sorts and a red sort of rash in the spot he had been licked. He was then very distressed and hard to settle. We removed him from the room of course. Was fine with the pup until these symptoms occurred and was smiling at him and chatting to him. When we woke DS this morning, (he sleeps 11 hours) the rash wasn't gone but was faded and his eyes and nose seemed a lot better. However, when we bought him downstairs where the pup was running around, the sneezing, runny nose, eyes and rubbing and little wheezes started again after 10-15 minutes and DS is now distressed whenever the pup is in view.
I feel horrible because I hadn't even considered that DS could have an allergy. We have a cat who he has never had a reaction to but that being said the cat isn't close to him most of the time.
I'm crying nearly as much as DS and my anxiety is working overtime. I feel awful for DS and awful for the dog as he deserves a family that can dedicate themselves to him whereas now with this happening I feel too paranoid about DS. How can I keep a dog that can't be in the vicinity of my child?
My question is, where do I stand on returning the dog? I was told they would have the dog back within a week with a written letter from a vet stating that the dog was ill but nothing for this sort of circumstance. We bought him from a pet shop attached to a house and the man selling the pups sells them on behalf of the breeder. It was very legit. I'd be lying if I said we're not concerned about the £500 we paid as we were more than willing to pay this for a beautiful dog but of course, if we can't keep him we have lost £500. If not I feel I will have to rehome him ourselves before he gets too attached to our family as that is even more unfair of the dog. How would I go about this?
I'm going to ring the man we purchased the puppy from shortly but am trying to compose myself first and console DS so I just wanted some help and support. Please no nasty comments I know how horrible I sound!

Veterinari Thu 02-Feb-17 09:08:24

I think unfortunately as you haven't bought direct from a reputable breeder, but from a trader who could be buying pups in from any backyard breeder that churns them out, your options may be limited. You definitely didn't meet with the breeder? See the pup with his mum? Have you seen evidence of hip scores or done any other of recommended research? Has he been vet checked do you know he's healthy?

How old is the puppy? Reputable breeders will take a pup back in this situation rather than risk its welfare. All you can do is go back to the shop and inquire.

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:14:11

Thank you for the reply!
It's definitely a reputable breeder as we have lots of formal paperwork, proof of micro chipping and a vet report with the first vaccinations etc noted on it.
I think I'm just worried because he said the money goes to the breeder and he just gets a percentage for selling them sort of thing so I'm thinking they may be funny about taking a puppy back.
That being said, we love this little lad and, although DS is obviously the biggest issue, we're also worried about bonding with the pup too much when this is clearly due to the situation, not his forever home. We just want him to go to the right home just as much as we want to keep DS protected.

We're going to ring the man at 10am and see what he says! Hopefully as you say he'll agree that the little pup needs the right home!

Medeci Thu 02-Feb-17 09:22:49

A reputable breeder would have asked you to bring all family members to meet the pup and you'd probably have discovered your child's dog allergy then. Most would take the pup back in your situation although you might not get a full refund.
If you bought from backyard breeders it would be better for the pup if you got a rescue to rehome him, they'll check out prospective owners, find him a good home, and take him back if things don't work out.
He'll be fine if you do this ASAP while still a cute pup.
You wouldn't get your £500 back though.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 02-Feb-17 09:25:32

You bought a pup from a shop???

No way is that legit

Any responsible breeder or rescue will insist you return a dog to them, for whatever reason. I would be surprised if he gives you your money back, and I would actually get in touch with the breed rescue rather than putting him back into this situation. Poor pups

BiteyShark Thu 02-Feb-17 09:27:43

I guess in this situation all you can do is ask but be prepared to lose the money. To be honest if I was returning a puppy through no fault of its own I would think sod the money.

As a side note our puppy bought all family members out in a terrible rash all over hands where he licked us but within weeks we seem to have got used to it and it no longer affects us.

I can understand not wanting to risk it with DC but is there any possibility of getting doctors/vets advice before trying to rehome?

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:28:54

We did take our son but he was in the car seat, he didn't seem to have any reaction that we noticed but saying that he was crying - a lot. We put it down to him being tired as it was nearing nap time, maybe I should have looked closer and seen his eyes and paid attention to him sneezing but it honestly never crossed my mind. It's my fault completely I should have contemplated this but I totally overlooked it.

If we have to forgo the money then so be it because the happiness of the little puppy and DS is most important

Kronutpearl Thu 02-Feb-17 09:29:03

No sorry that was definitely not legit no matter how much paperwork you received. That paperwork is easy to forge.

Foldedtshirt Thu 02-Feb-17 09:31:04

Did you take your child to meet the dog first? Has he been around dogs before? If not you deserve to feel really stupid and irresponsible because you have been.

Foldedtshirt Thu 02-Feb-17 09:32:21

There are so many reasons rescue places don't house dogs with young children- why on earth did you think it would be different for you?

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:32:54

I mean there's definitely been a vet check and there was a receipt we signed with terms on it that we have a copy of and he kept us there for 20 minutes whilst explaining to us the best way to feed, train etc which apparently he does with everyone regardless of how many pups they've had.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of experience buying pups but I have been to an obvious puppy farm where we didn't buy the pup but reported the home. This seemed so legitimate but maybe I've been naive buying into a nice person with a smokescreen of paperwork..

GinIsIn Thu 02-Feb-17 09:33:06

You have absolutely not bought his puppy from a legitimate source, I'm sorry. Please don't send it back there!! Whereabouts are you based? Perhaps some of us can recommend someone to help you rehome.

ofudginghell Thu 02-Feb-17 09:33:52

A few sniper posts here hmm
The op is clearly concerned for both dc and puppy.
Yes she possibly made a mistake buying the dog the way she did but if your new to buying puppies I guess what your being told by who you believe to be a responsible breeder is what you trust.

Op can you contact the man and ask for the breeders direct details?
Are there any details on any of the paperwork you have?

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:35:10

I really don't need the lecture thank you I am perfectly aware that I have made an error in judgement and don't shy away from that.
Me and DP grew up with dogs from not much older than DS and stupidly assumed it would be the same and okay for our son. Obviously a silly assumption to make in hindsight.

Hoppinggreen Thu 02-Feb-17 09:35:54

That's not a reputable breeder and all your " evidence" is worthless. We had all that and our pup came from a puppy farm. Also, £500 is quite cheap for a Lab. there is no way any reputable breeder would have let a puppy go without seeing how It interacted with the WHOLE family. You have screwed up and I say that as someone who did too but luckily for us it turned out mostly OK
Anyway, chances are he won't take the pup back so I think you will have to rehome and forget what you paid. The pup is young enough to find a good home quickly so try a Lab rescue group. They will probably get it into foster immediately and then find a good home

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:37:22

I think that's what I'm going to ask, for the breeders details. If there's a lack of compassion or concern then no way will the dog be going back, I would much rather he go to a rescue centre! I live near to Wolverhampton so if anyone knows of a really decent rehoming centre that would be much appreciated!

There really needs to be stricter legislation enforced for non legitimate breeders!!

Kronutpearl Thu 02-Feb-17 09:38:01

Definitely get to a rescue away.you won't get your money back I'm afraid.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 02-Feb-17 09:38:33

How much research did you do? A quick Google would have told you all you need to know

Kronutpearl Thu 02-Feb-17 09:38:35

No please don't even bother contacting the breeder - rescue centre immediately!

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:39:20

That's fine, if there was a way to be refunded and ensure the puppy's safety then fantastic but if not then puppy's happiness trumps that in every way. Thank you for the replies.

Kronutpearl Thu 02-Feb-17 09:39:22

I have to agree with costa. There's plenty of info out there on how to find a reputable breeder.

Hoppinggreen Thu 02-Feb-17 09:39:28

Try Many Tears, they are national but have a good network

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Feb-17 09:40:54

Sorry but yes that sounds like a puppy farm. And a puppy and baby is never a good mix. Toilet training whilst changing nappies. Mouthing pup.
Contact breed rescues OP. They should be able to help.
And for future reference when we got our pup we were home checked and on a waiting list. Had a phone interview with breeder even after home check. They will take her back. Anytime. For whatever reason. And we met mum and have dad's details too. Full pedigree and details of puppy and parents health tests.

Hoppinggreen Thu 02-Feb-17 09:41:04

To be fair costa and kronut the puppy farmers are getting very smart now.
We did everything advised and still ended up with a farmed puppy, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

feelinghorrible Thu 02-Feb-17 09:42:18

I looked up the shop and found it listed on th best business website. I assumed (in hindsight very naively) that as it was a registered business, it would have to adhere to certain legislations especially, selling pups from a legitimate breeder in a legitimate way as this is a large part of the business he registered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now