Talk

Advanced search

Ill dog refusing food and water

(15 Posts)
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 31-Jan-17 19:33:50

Missy (1 year old) is a stress-refuser of food, water, peeing and pooing at the best of times.....

Monday morning, she'd had diarrhoea overnight on the floor. No problem, she's never done it before (in the 3-4 months we've had her),but these things happen. She was not told off, but was cowering in her bed. Taken for her first walk, lots of diarrhoea again. Taken to work with DP as usual, three bouts more in the first half hour there. Decide to bring her home and me to come back from work to work at home. Missy throws up in the car. Mostly bile.

No more poos or vomit since Monday morning. Dog very lethargic.

Took her to vet on Monday afternoon, temperature slightly raised at 39c. Injection given for nausea (boy did she yelp at that one sad) and sent home on chicken and rice diet.

Ate most of a chicken breast, no rice hmm and half a cup of water I snuck in the mixture.

Today, half a slice of ham, refused more (highly unusual). 4 ice cubes. Half a cup of water mixed with quarter tin of vet-recommended wet gastro food. Two small pees this morning.

And that's it. She's 23kg. Usually highly active, alert and bouncy. Shes still quite listless, no playing with any toys. 1000 yard stare, just lying on her bed or the sofa. Doesn't move about at all, usually up and down all the time. Barely acknowledges the cat.

She is a very sad dog at the moment. Vet thinks she's eaten something rank at the beach on Sunday or picked up a bug from another dog there.

She just won't eat or drink. She's now refusing ice cubes,which she normally loves. Have offered beef stock in water, chicken pieces, ham, normal dog food, the gastro stuff. Nothing.

Any ideas on how to coax things in to her?!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 31-Jan-17 19:34:04

Jeebus. V long. Sorry.

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 31-Jan-17 19:37:12

Vet first thing in the morning I think, unless she's appreciably better overnight.

Keep trying to get some water down her.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 31-Jan-17 19:40:27

She needs to go back to the vets, several things could be causing her nausea. The raised temperature suggests infection so she might need anti-biotics.

You need to check her hydration, if you grab some skin at the scruff of her neck and give it a gentle tug, it should bounce back into place. If it remains raised and pudding like, this is indicative of dehydration and you MUST get fluids into her. If this were my dog I would be at least talking to the out of hours vet if she is dehydrated. An OOH vets visit should be covered by your insurance, but take advice first. If she is not dehydrated it can wait until the morning but they need to investigate why she is so nauseous.

And yes, the anti sickness injection stings like a bastard.

Hope she is on the mend soon

Floralnomad Tue 31-Jan-17 19:42:30

Have you tried cooking her something to eat or warming up some hotdogs or something equally smelly - my dog usually likes a beef burger ( or Macds ) if he's feeling sorry for himself - which fortunately for his waistline isn't that often . I'd also go back to the vet tomorrow if she's not improved .

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 31-Jan-17 19:51:31

You'd think after writing all that, I wouldn't miss out that she was back at the vet this morning for a check up. Doh.

Temperature was back down to 38.3.

Good news, like she knows I'm panicking, literally while tapping in my phone
she's just had an enormous drink of water from her bowl, where I'd put lots of ice cubes to try to tempt her.

Hopefully it will stay down.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 31-Jan-17 19:58:00

Checked scruff, not instant snap back of skin but not staying up either. Seems appropriate to her water intake. Will keep chilling her water - she seems to appreciate it very cold.

Have only cooked chicken breast so far - she sniffed at my sausages for dinner, but I don't want to give her something too rich? What do you think? There are 2 left over.

Agree water is the priority today. She's barely the right weight as it is, and she's going to end up skinny as a rake again. Poor thing.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 31-Jan-17 20:05:28

That's great that she is drinking.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 31-Jan-17 20:07:43

No, I wouldn';t go with the sausages as they will be high in fat, stick with the chicken. To get extra fluids in you can mix her dog food into a "soup" for her to lap at.

If her skin doesn't snap back in the morning, check with your vet, but she sounds like she is on the mend

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 31-Jan-17 20:52:47

Damn dog, just ate an entire chicken breast, in pieces, hand fed. smile

Hopefully I was panicking for nothing. Sorry to waste everyone's time!

applesareredandgreen Tue 31-Jan-17 22:39:28

Glad she is feeling better. A thought on the hydration - it was suggested to me to give my dog the water that I had cooked the chicken and rice in when he was poorly and not drinking - and he lapped this up.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 02-Feb-17 21:56:20

Dog still pooing rivers of yellow water. Barely eaten today and threw up in the car. DP thinks it's the illness, I think she was car sick because he drives like a loon down the windy roads to his work. However, no other vomit.

Managed to get her to take half a dozen dried sprats, a mouthful of milk, and a chunk of my steamed fish at dinner but has refused scrambled egg, boiled chicken, gastro dog food, dried dog food, home made bouillon and potato.

Constantly curled up despite normally taking up a double sofa stretched out in all direct at once.

Back to vet in the morning. Anyone had anything like this with their pooch?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 02-Feb-17 23:15:03

I would ask them to test for pancreatitis. I am surprised they didn't do more than give an anti sickness drug if I'm honest.

Pancreatitis is serious and causes alot of pain. The trouble is dogs are pretty stoic and hide it well.

The good news is that it's treatable. In your shoes id insist on bloods. Im more concerned aboug her discomfort than the poo.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 03-Feb-17 10:14:38

At the moment, I have a week's worth of metronidazole (antibiotics) to get into her. If that didn't do anything, then it's in for scans and xrays etc.

Palpation of the body shows nothing at all - not the merest flinch or eye widening. Vet doesn't think it's anything stuck in the intestines, for example.

Trying to get a paste into her which is supposed to thicken get stools, but she hates it. Of course.

Today she's had two sachets of Winalot, so the take away junk food version of her fancy normal food, and wolfed them. I know she should be on plainer food, but she's lost over a kilo this week and I'd rather she ate anything than nothing.

Photo of dog in normal "murdering toys" mode attached!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 03-Feb-17 10:15:31

Oh, and another injection for the stomach to help her, her temperature is normal and she's not dehydrated thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now