Talk

Advanced search

My dog was spayed yesterday

(7 Posts)
Deadnettle Tue 31-Jan-17 11:35:32

I was told to call the vets at 1pm yesterday to find out how my dog was doing after her laparoscopic spay, instead they called me early. The call went like this:

Vet nurse: I just calling to let you know your dog has woken up bright and lively so she is ready to go home.

Me: Is that her screaming in the background?

VN: Um, yes. If you could come and get her?

Why are my dogs always the noisy ones at the vets?

StandardPoodle Tue 31-Jan-17 16:12:27

You have my sympathy Deadnettle - when I went to collect our boy after he was castrated I could hear him from the car park. I think he was on his third round of the Hallelujah Chorus at full throttle before he was brought to me!
Glad your girl is safely through the operation and hope she is well on the road to recovery. From memory with Rescuegirl, the first 48 hours were the worst; after that she improved rapidly.

Deadnettle Tue 31-Jan-17 16:51:06

She's mainly sleeping. She does seem to want a walk but its raining and because she's little she kicks water up on her tummy so I don't really want to take her out. She had a tiny walk this morning because she hadn't done a wee for about 22 hours and I needed her to go before DH went to work in case she needed to go back to the vets.

On my last thread about spaying her I asked which vet I should use. Vet 1 the local vet, or vet 2. I wanted to use vet 2 but vet 1 was £110 cheaper! I really couldn't justify that and had a long talk with vet 1 and I was happy for them to do the spay.

StandardPoodle Tue 31-Jan-17 17:35:10

Sleep is a great healer, my old Mum used to say. And I wonder if your girl may still have anaesthetic in her system (not a vet so just my thought) to make her sleepy. I hope she makes good progress in the healing - and that the weather is kind for short walks for you!

Deadnettle Tue 31-Jan-17 17:57:32

She may still have anaesthetic in her system but she is the laziest poodle ever so I can't actually say if she is sleeping more than normal. She is definately uncomfortable though and is not a fan of the vest thing I am making her wear!

I really wish it was dry so I could walk her just so she'll go to the loo! I have just bought a full body waterproof suit for her as I am so sick of drying her after every walk but she's not worn it yet and I don't know if it covers the right bits of her tummy. I may have to try it though.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 31-Jan-17 20:26:37

We once left my parents old lab in kennels when we went on holiday. When we got back a couple of weeks later the dog was hoarse. He had barked and whined until he literally had no voice left. He didn't like being left in kennels, big spoilt lump. Mind you I'm going back thirty years, I wouldn't like to think a kennels owner would leave a dog to yap himself silly without getting in touch.

Deadnettle Tue 31-Jan-17 21:22:54

Thats sad MsAdorabelle, I hope it wouldn't happen now.

Poodle has just had a really short walk in the rain so she could go to the loo. She looked ridiculous in her waterproof suit but she came home mostly dry and more importantly she went to the loo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now