Talk

Advanced search

Urinary tract diet

(5 Posts)
SecretSix Fri 27-Jan-17 12:25:22

My 13 year old working cocker is getting recurring water infections, we have antiobiotics (again) and the vet has now recommended a prescription urinary tract diet as he has crystals in his urine.

Could anyone recommend which one is best? The vets have Hills and Royal Canin but I seem to remember in previous threads that RC wasn't rated very highly? The receptionist has ordered a small bag of RC and a couple of tins and pouches to see which he likes. I know wet food isn't great but he's not keen on just dry food so we feed a combination.

Thanks

SecretSix Sat 28-Jan-17 08:30:06

Hopeful bump...

TheRattleBag Sat 28-Jan-17 09:04:21

I have no experience of urinary problems in dogs, but it's something my cat has suffered from for years.

She recently had to move to a mix of wet and dry food, but wasn't keen on the pouches (RC) from the vet. So I went onto www.zooplus.co.uk and ordered a selection of various urinary control foods for her to try. She likes all of them better than RC, even the Hills!

It's free delivery if you spend >£30, so I'm just going to get into the habit of ordering enough at a time and storing it.

Or you could try www.fetch.co.uk or even Amazon. If you do find a food that he likes, any of these would be cheaper than getting it from the vet.

SecretSix Sat 28-Jan-17 09:41:26

Thanks Rattle, Sixdog has hoovered up his RC pouch this morning although I'll be bankrupt if he just has those! The prices on zoo plus seem similar to amazon, so I'll get some ordered online.

Have you found it's made a difference for your cat?

TheRattleBag Sat 28-Jan-17 14:44:55

Yes, she's much happier now! Hope your pooch perks up too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now