Talk

Advanced search

Dogs leg giving way

(7 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Thu 26-Jan-17 22:33:23

Have noticed tonight that my jack Russell's back leg has been sort of giving way when she's been walking, & she's found it hard to get up on the sofa using that leg. She's 11, so although old, not massively old for her size of dog, she's not particularly active she has 2 walks a day but definitely likes her home comforts & is very nervous being out & about.

Obviously will call vets in the morning but just worrying what it might be if anyone had any experience?

JonSnowsWhore Fri 27-Jan-17 08:31:38

Bumping

BiteyShark Fri 27-Jan-17 09:57:10

No idea I am afraid but I know how horrible it is worrying about them.

Hope it is temporary and or can be helped with medication flowers

JonSnowsWhore Fri 27-Jan-17 11:15:22

Thank you, got her an appointment for Monday morning, I'm in hospital myself today so couldn't take her today!

It seems like it might be her hip, she let me touch her paw, all the way up her leg but flinched when I touched her hip sad

Headlesshorseman Fri 27-Jan-17 11:21:58

My dog has this problem. He has been on daily metacam for nearly 2 years now which really helps. We are now at the point of alternate days walks, on his rest days he's content to potter around the garden/ front drive. And it's a lot worse when it's cold, so I also have tramadol to give him when he's struggling.
My best tip would be to buy the prescription off the vet and order any drugs online, it's saved me a fortune!

JonSnowsWhore Fri 27-Jan-17 11:36:47

Ah no horrible that it's something on going, I hate seeing dogs in pain.

I will speak to the vets Monday & see what they say. Don't know whether they'll have to do an X ray or what, my poor patchy dog

JonSnowsWhore Mon 30-Jan-17 19:36:13

Headless you were right, she has arthritis in her knee & has been put on metacam for 10 days to see how she responds, if all is well then they'll give it to her longer term

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now