Talk

Advanced search

Dog Breath:(

(2 Posts)
jeremycamelstie Thu 26-Jan-17 19:23:45

We've got a gorgeous 8 month old labrador. She was obviously feeling unwell at the beginning of the week, off her food (!), reluctant to go out for her walks and very quiet. She also had awful breath - not the usual "doggy" breath but really smelly. After a day she was back to her normal self but 4 days later her breath is still really bad - it really does stink!.
I know bad breath in dogs is usually to do with their teeth but is it also a symptom of being unwell as the 2 things came on together? And what can I do about it - it's putting me off our cuddles!

Imamouseduh Sat 28-Jan-17 21:42:20

Labs have soft mouths which means that the soft skin of their 'lips' can get a bit infected. Gently Pull apart the wrinkles of her lips and look for any little white or red spots (almost like a pimple with or without a head on it). If you find any, treat them with a gentle (diluted) antiseptic by dipping a cotton pad in the liquid and rubbing it gently in the folds of her lips. Dry completely with a clean cotton pad. Repeat 3-4 times a day for up to a week to clear the infection.

Wash her mouth in soapy water to begin with though, she might just have some dried sick around her mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now