Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it cruel...?

(56 Posts)
FrizzBombDelight Thu 26-Jan-17 11:40:57

... to get a dog if it will be alone in the house 9-5 weekdays?

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-Jan-17 11:42:43

Yes- that long alone, everyday isn't right.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 26-Jan-17 11:45:13

Yup.

FrizzBombDelight Thu 26-Jan-17 11:47:34

Yeah I thought so but my partner is trying to convince me otherwise sad

Mamia15 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:50:23

Imagine not being able to go to the toilet all day sad

Dogs are social animals, they need plenty of human interactions - bored unhappy dogs are more likely to be destructive.

BiteyShark Thu 26-Jan-17 11:51:18

Yes I use day care when I am at work as DDog would be climbing the walls otherwise.

When he is an old dog I would still pay for a dog walker to tire him out but whilst young even that is not enough company.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 26-Jan-17 11:51:35

What kind of life is that for a dog? Please stick to your guns.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 26-Jan-17 11:52:47

I can't think of any dog that is going to be totally fine for all that time.

It'll wreck the house, cry or bark, and what does it do if it wants the toilet?!

NDN leaves her 'indoor dog'hmm chihuahua at home alone all day, I told her it cries and yelps for hours and she doesn't believe me, says it just curls up on the sofa and sleeps. It doesn't.

Only way it'd work if you were out 9-5 is one of you do and early morning walk, dog walker/sitter comes around lunchtime then maybe another walk in the evening.

Even then you'd have to have a very calm, well-trained dog with no seperation anxiety.

JingleBallRock Thu 26-Jan-17 11:53:39

It is. But, you could think about getting a dog walker to come in at lunchtime to break this up.

It also depends on the dog. I have a really lazy border terrier who sleeps for about 16 hours a day every day. I'll often leave her for 4-5 hours and she's completely fine, she doesn't even get up from her bed half the time.

I wouldn't leave her 8 hours though, that's a very long time for them to be alone and to hold their bladders.

Also, will the dog actually be alone 9-5 or do you work 9-5 in which case you need to factor in travelling times as well so it could be more like 8-6.

TheEmmaDilemma Thu 26-Jan-17 11:53:56

No. You need to be there. Or at least get back to him once within that time frame.

I know my doggy would not be happy to be left alone all that time.

HorridHenryrule Thu 26-Jan-17 11:57:44

My aunt had a dog and she had to work 9-5. The dog lived my aunt to bits of anyone touched she would go for them. I think people's perception of having a dog around them all the time is unhealthy. You have to work in order to feed the dog and keep a roof over dog and owners head. We are now approaching Brexit and everyone has to work. I wonder what will happen to all those doggies who can't be homed because people have to work.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:58:35

Day in, day out, it's not on. Plus the times you'll be out doing family stuff at the weekend. Don't do it.

JingleBallRock Thu 26-Jan-17 12:00:51

We are now approaching Brexit and everyone has to work

confused
And the award for crow-barring Brexit into a completely unrelated thread goes to.....

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:01:43

It's one thing having a dog already and having to adjust things because you have to go out to work, HORRIDHENRY, it's another to have to deal with that situation from the outset and getting a dog in those circumstances. Irresponsible. Unless a rescue centre says otherwise.

BiteyShark Thu 26-Jan-17 12:05:52

You see I have a dog and work so I do believe you can do it and know people at work in the same situation.

However you need to use day care or walkers etc so the day is broken up and the dog gets the mental and physical stimulation it needs. Saying that I took lots of holiday first to settle dog in so for the first month was essentially at home with him before he started day care.

Would day care etc be a possibility for you?

Idrinkandiknowstuff Thu 26-Jan-17 12:10:06

we are now approaching brexit and everyone has to work

WTF, did people not have to work before the referendum then? Why was I not told this, I've spent 30 years working when I could have been sat at home with a dog.

HorridHenryrule Thu 26-Jan-17 12:10:57

My aunt has always worked she has food, bills and a mortgage to pay. Her dog was fine she coped and at the same time guarded the house. She was a happy little doggie. Some people I know put their dog in a cage. People have to work and I do wonder how old some of you are who are against the idea.

HorridHenryrule Thu 26-Jan-17 12:13:41

I'm talking about work dodgers who own dogs. Don't take offence it doesn't apply to you.

JingleBallRock Thu 26-Jan-17 12:23:10

People have to work and I do wonder how old some of you are who are against the idea

I literally have no idea what you're talking about. What the fuck has age got to do with it? And people "having" to work? People have always "had" to work.

Are you on glue?

luckylambchop Thu 26-Jan-17 12:23:29

The dog lived my aunt to bits of anyone touched she would go for them.

Unless I have misunderstood your meaning this is not an example of a particularly well adjusted dog.

Of course people have dogs and go to work but you do need some kind of provision for it. A lunchtime dog walk at the very least. The good news is that there are loads of doggy services around these days - dog walkers, day care etc. It might be something to look into if your partner is very determined. But quite honestly it's not ideal.

UnicornButtplug Thu 26-Jan-17 12:29:44

How far away do you work? One lady I work with pops home on her lunch hour to see to the dog.
Another couple have two dogs and a large out door pen.
There are ways to make it work but I would consider an older results ur dog rather than a pup who will be bored and probably chew your house to bits.

HorridHenryrule Thu 26-Jan-17 12:36:40

Lucky that is good advice my aunt probably never had that for her dog. My grandad owned a hotel and he had a guard dog in the back garden. I think that's where our attitude comes from in regards to how a dog should be.

LilCamper Thu 26-Jan-17 12:39:04

Absolutely cruel.

Owning a dog is a privilege not a right. If you can't provide for a dog's needs, don't get one.

FrizzBombDelight Thu 26-Jan-17 13:02:44

I hadn't thought of dog walkers, I will look into it. My partner works around the corner but he wouldnt be able to come home everyday. We have only started discussing it and there is obviously a lot more research we need to do! Maybe a cat is a more viable option confused

ErrolTheDragon Thu 26-Jan-17 13:05:48

Where is he thinking of getting a dog from? Unlikely a rescue would be happy with this arrangement, and nor would any responsible breeder, for one thing, you* obviously* can't do this to a puppy. So, presumably he's thinking (if indeed he's actually given it any thought at all) of getting an adult dog from gumtree or suchlike. confusedhmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now