Talk

Advanced search

Getting a rescue greyhound, any advice?

(7 Posts)
ThatsWotSheSaid Wed 25-Jan-17 21:46:26

We are adopting an ex-racer from our local RGT. He is 3 years old and has never lived in a house.
He seems very calm and sweet but a bit downtrodden. We need to wait till he is neutered before we can bring him home so it will be a couple of weeks.
Any advice on how to make it a smooth transition?

CMOTDibbler Wed 25-Jan-17 21:49:44

Love, patience, a huge cozy bed, and warm dog coats smile And lots of treats - cocktail sausages are great, but my lot love the dried liver treats from Treats2sit4 which are less unpleasant to keep in your pocket

Bambinho Thu 26-Jan-17 05:29:21

Congratulations! I now have two lovely greys, just rehomed my 2nd grey from the RGT two and a half weeks ago. With my first I was lent a big crate that was his sanctuary for a while, yours may benefit from a quiet space as he's been in kennels all his life . I locked mine in there at night, mainly to minimise weeing accidents, but we didn't need to do that too long. He now has full access to the house including all sofas and beds blush

The new arrival hates being locked away and follows me from room to room so I just gave up trying to keep him separate and he now sleeps on the rug next to my bed (I know, I'm a complete softie!).

We had a problem with weeing in the house with this one for a bit longer but with regular (every half hour at first) trips to the garden and plenty of praise when he performed he's settled down now. It takes a little while for them to come out of their shell but generally they're lovely easy dogs.

The RGT will give you a muzzle when you collect him, I would recommend you use it until you know how he is with other dogs, especially small ones as he won't have seen them before. My new one is overenthusiastic with small dogs. hoping he will grow out of it like the other one did.

I have tried cocktail sausages as mentioned by CMOTDibbler when attempting recall training but have found small cubes of a nice strong cheddar is the favourite of my two. Good luck!

luckylambchop Thu 26-Jan-17 10:06:46

Yay, congratulations! There was a very recent thread on the subject which you will find useful. If my technical skills are up to it I will try and link to it...don't hold your breath!

luckylambchop Thu 26-Jan-17 10:09:51

i hope this works...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/2831508-Should-I-get-a-greyhound

ThatsWotSheSaid Thu 26-Jan-17 12:45:24

Thank you I've had a good read of that thread. The guy from the rescue is coming tonight! I'm so excited. smile

luckylambchop Thu 26-Jan-17 13:00:15

We will all need to see pictures of your new arrival please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now