Talk

Advanced search

My puppy is 6 months old today. I'd like tips and advice about looking after her while she is in season please

(16 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 07:20:14

There was blood on her quilt yesterday so it may be imminent. She teethed early so might be a precocious madam grin.

She will not be having puppies but is having one season before being done.

She's my first dog and my book tells me I'll have a front garden full of boy dogs as my first clue she's in season. Not happened yet. And not realistic around here. Another piece of info is to put Vicks around her tail to stop her I'm in season aroma.

She's not keen on her retractable lead and will lie down when put on it but today I'll walk her on it instead of just using it when in the field when I need her to stay away from scared dogs, to give her a bit more freedom.

Bubble2bubble Wed 25-Jan-17 12:01:52

Don't leave her unsupervised in the garden!
If she has only just started bleeding it may be a few days before the boys are really interested.

I live in the country and know all the local dogs and their neutering status but I was looking after a pup who came into season and two dogs I had never seen in my life before turned up at my gate and tried their best to get through the fence. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.

The pup as well, was determined to chase after my boys, even though they are both neutered. You really do need to be very careful.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 12:26:31

Nothing can get in or out of my garden so she should be safe there.

She mounted a small boy dog last week and has been humping on and off since three months. I think she might have gender confusion.

tabulahrasa Wed 25-Jan-17 13:09:36

Ha, I've seen dogs leap over 6 foot fences...don't take it for granted nothing can get in.

If you're going to choose to walk her, you need to do it in quiet places at quiet times and keep her on a short lead as well tbh.

You might also want to drive her to where you're walking to avoid leaving a scent trail to your house, even if they don't get in your garden, you don't really want random dogs outside your house.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 14:54:50

I'll watch her closely.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 15:20:46

She's humping her blanket noŵ

imthelastsplash Wed 25-Jan-17 15:37:44

Never underestimate a dog trying to get to a bitch in season. When I was a teenager I came home to find a dog had chewed through the back door!! Ended up with my poor puppy pregnant sad

MrsRC1 Wed 25-Jan-17 16:07:21

Hi my little girl went into season early at around 6 months too. We live in an area with a very high amount of dogs and we did not have any problems with any approaching her or attacking her or following her home. She is a small breed so this may have helped but as long as you keep her on a lead and make other dog owners aware as you approach them I dont think you should worry. Hope that helps

Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 17:13:19

I think there should be a specific colour collar that dogs wear when in season to help people keep their dogs apart.

MrsRC1 Wed 25-Jan-17 17:37:39

There is, if you put a yellow ribbon bow on the lead it least other dog owners know that dog needs extra space and should be left alone.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 25-Jan-17 18:18:08

Good idea. I'll do that. She's up to something, definitely.

I never knew girls humped. She mounted a boy dog too and I never knew she'd do that either confused.

MrsRC1 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:23:20

My little one has never done that but she has a Maltese friend who is a girl and humps, I read that it is also a sign of friendship or sometimes a dog is trying to establish dominance, but who knows lol

exLtEveDallas Wed 25-Jan-17 20:28:57

My friends dog went through three seasons in a year shock (hormone issues). She ended up taking her out wearing a fetching pair of black pants because too many dogs in our area were left entire and were constantly bothering her on walks. She was overjoyed when she could finally get her done!

Goingtobeawesome Thu 26-Jan-17 07:25:08

My friend definitely won't walk with us if AwesomePuppy wears pants!

TweedAddict Thu 26-Jan-17 08:04:29

You can get a spray called "bitch spray" it's supposed to be really good

Goingtobeawesome Thu 26-Jan-17 11:10:46

I'm just wondering what to do about her walk. I'm not 100% sure she is in season. All that made me think she might be was the blood in her bed and the fact that she humped her crate blanket a lot yesterday when I put it in her lounge bed.

She really doesn't like her retractable lead which would give her more freedom so it's on her normal short one or try and perserve.

I've not heard of the bitch spray. I'll look on line. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now