Talk

Advanced search

Trouble housetraining a new puppy

(12 Posts)
fivecupsoftea Tue 24-Jan-17 19:50:28

Has anyone got any advice for me, we got an 8 week old cavapoo 10 days ago. We have tried to devote these early days to toilet training. But I feel like we are failing as she keeps going on the living room carpet. This is what I'm doing:
1. She's in a crate all night, I take her out first thing and she pees and poos
2. I don't monitor for about 1/2 hour after she goes, then I monitor her or have her on my lap (she usually sleeps) until I take her out again., I'm taking her out every hour, I've been trying to do this all day.
3. She gets lots of praise and a treat for going outside.

With doing the above we were only having a few accidents, but today I monitored her slightly less and she had loads of indoor accidents. She only really likes our living room, and she spends most of her time there. Every time she messes the carpet I clean it up and spray. It feels like she thinks the carpet is a great place to pee and poo. I'm feeling a bit despairing.

TrionicLettuce Tue 24-Jan-17 19:57:00

She's still very young and you've had her no time at all, it'll be a while yet before she starts becoming more reliable in the house.

Have a read through this if you haven't already, it's a great guide to toilet training puppies.

I'd take her out more often than once an hour, as the guide says it should be more like every 20-30 minutes when she's not doing much and every 10-20 minutes when she's active.

If you're not already, make sure to clean up accidents inside with either a proper enzymatic cleaner or a solution of biological washing liquid/powder to make sure any residual smells are completely broken down.

Other than that just give it time, she will get it eventually.

insan1tyscartching Tue 24-Jan-17 20:05:04

Yes like pp suggests you need to take her out every 20 minutes or so whether or not you think she needs to go. Mooch about the garden, use a word to prompt her "be quick" works here, praise if she goes.If not pick her up and carry her round indoors for five minutes and then taker her out again.
The trick is to avoid her having the opportunity to go indoors really so that she isn't confused. Our dog was house trained within a fortnight doing iy this wayso hard work but really worth it.

fivecupsoftea Tue 24-Jan-17 21:31:57

Thanks so much for your messages. I will take her out more often, and I'm encouraged at both of you saying that it is early days yet.

GinIsIn Tue 24-Jan-17 21:35:57

As PPs have said - your dog is very young and you really need to be taking her out every 30 mins. Lots of praise when she goes outside, no punishing if she has an accident inside.

Catinthecorner Tue 24-Jan-17 23:54:15

As above. And don't beat yourself up about it. As you connect with pup you'll figure out her cues but until then you want to present opportunities to bathroom outside when she isn't desperate

BiteyShark Wed 25-Jan-17 05:30:53

To be honest I thought I must be doing everything wrong with my puppy as people tend to tell you they housetrained their dog in less than a week and ours kept having about 1-2 accidents inside every week but I think every dog is different.

I took mine outside when he woke, after play, after food and anytime I thought he looked like he was sniffing the ground. It was soul destroying waiting for what seemed like hours outside in the cold. Even when I thought he had got it we had the odd accident because he is never vocal about wanting to go so I have installed a bell for him to bash which seems to be working but I still watch him carefully if he hadn't been for a while.

What I am trying to say is stick with it and don't be upset if it seems to take longer than other people's dogs as yours is still very very young and they will get it eventually.

ImYourMama Wed 25-Jan-17 05:42:23

You leave a 9 week old pup in a crate all night? The poor thing must be bursting! You need to treat pup like a baby, regular alarms in the night to make sure it's ok and be much more vigilant with signs of toileting.

Firefries Wed 25-Jan-17 05:56:45

Look up "housebreaking schedule" for puppy on Pinterest. That's exactly what I used. Worked a treat.

Firefries Wed 25-Jan-17 05:58:30

This ...

Firefries Wed 25-Jan-17 06:00:39

Get the rest from Pinterest but you see what I mean.

BiteyShark Wed 25-Jan-17 06:10:44

Missed the bit about being in the crate all night sad I am working to the advice on he can hold it for 1 hour each month of his age plus 1 for night time so I am still getting up once during the night to take him for a wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now