Talk

Advanced search

Dog starving after neutering

(12 Posts)
2017newyear Tue 24-Jan-17 18:43:58

At the start of January my 1 year old cocker spaniel was castrated. Since the op he has been starving, he has become a complete pest and each day is worse.

Tonight he took it to a new level by jumping onto the dining table to get to the dinner he of course was promptly removed and wasn't given anything.

He is now on the continual scrounge.

Has anyone else had this? Is it a short term problem? Do I need to take him to the vet?

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 24-Jan-17 18:51:07

Our flatboat is the same, he doesn't get on the table when we are in the room though, waits until we are out!
We found that weighing food, no tears apart from cucumber, pepper and carrots and only from his bowl or for doing something good like lying down.
Lots of retraining.
He is still the most awful thief as soon as our backs are turned and we have had to move alll food into high cupboards. It's like having a tall toddler.

2017newyear Tue 24-Jan-17 18:57:24

I described him as a wilful toddler tonight, after he raided the rabbits food store!

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:16:56

grin
I actually have a flatcoat, not a flatboat and no tears is untrue - especially when I discover he's pinched the DSs lunchboxes and wolfed the sandwiches just before we need to leave! I meant no treats.
He likes to check out anything in plastic packaging now just in case he strikes

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:17:17

Lucky

2017newyear Tue 24-Jan-17 19:25:17

Oh yes plastic packaging needs to be checked and shredded even if obviously empty!

I'm loving the typos I had guessed that's what you were meaning, thought politer to ignore.

georgedawes Tue 24-Jan-17 20:28:39

What do you feed him? Got to say I've been the same since 1st Jan too but no option here!!! grin

tabulahrasa Tue 24-Jan-17 22:34:21

Yep neutering can cause an increased appetite, it's the loss of testosterone...it also makes them need less food to keep weight on as well, they're the two reasons dogs tend to gain weight afterwards.

People feed them the same amount as before...or worse more, because they're hungry.

The actual behaviour though, jumping on the table and scrounging, it's a training issue, not inevitable - if that makes sense? As in work on getting him to do what you want, don't just up his food.

2017newyear Tue 24-Jan-17 22:42:52

The irony is before the op he was a very fussy eater, and after a lot of trial and error would only eat Harrington biscuits and winalot (previous dog's were on BARF diet but he refused it!)

I will keep quantity levels the same, he has more energy too he was very laid back but now he runs round and round the house if not walked for an hour twice a day. Used to be able to do 30mins am and around an hour pm.

I will also up the training.

George - I did feel hypocritical telling him to stop eating whilst eating chocolates tonight

georgedawes Wed 25-Jan-17 18:44:43

I always feel bad limiting my dogs food whilst stuffing my face at any opportunity!

One thing that helps my dog is working for her food, either by training orfeeding her in a kong wobbler.

picklemepopcorn Wed 25-Jan-17 18:47:01

You could feed him more complicated for that he has to work for. Mine is raw fed, so he has to work harder than a kibble dog. Or put the kibble in a Kong so he has to work at it.

taptonaria27 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:34:45

Mine was starving on the day and day after as he really didn't take at all kindly to missing his breakfast but since then (op was two weeks ago) he's started leaving food so I'm reducing it a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now