Talk

Advanced search

Talking to a breeder tomorrow: what do I need to find out?

(14 Posts)
GrouchyKiwi Mon 23-Jan-17 22:42:42

I'm going to call a Newfoundland breeder (KC) who might have a puppy for us tomorrow.

I know that a Newfie would be a great pet for us (I'm a SAHM, can cope with mess, live in a good sized house with decent garden and plenty of areas for off-lead walks near us) so I'm happy about the type of dog we'd like to get. But what specifics do I need to check with the breeder?

tabulahrasa Mon 23-Jan-17 23:04:13

Results of all recommended health tests. (And check them online on the KC website)

Why they picked the stud they did, why they bred the litter... you want to know they've picked the best stud not just the closest and that they've bred because they want a puppy, not just to sell them.

Showing results for both parents...if they haven't done well, haven't been shown, they should have a pretty compelling reason for breeding from them at all.

Why they have a puppy available and it's not going to someone on a waiting list, again there should be a pretty compelling reason.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 24-Jan-17 09:16:13

Great, thanks tabula. Had thought of the tests but not the rest.

TrionicLettuce Tue 24-Jan-17 13:25:44

This is a really good list of questions to ask prospective breeders. I'd also want to ask about the inbreeding coefficient of the litter, which should be well below the breed average.

Health testing requirements for newfs are fairly modest: hip and elbow scores, a DNA test for cystinuria and the breed club heart testing scheme. You can look up health test results here on the KC site and there is also a breed club health test database.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 24-Jan-17 22:59:00

Thanks.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 30-Jan-17 21:53:38

Spoke to breeder today (illness and missing calls) and he seems excellent. Parents sound (and look - website photos) beautiful, and he does have a female puppy if I would like her.

He's asked me to take a couple of days to make sure we're ready and then I'll let him know and we'll get a puppy! Will visit first (once the dogs are over 5 weeks).

Thank you for your help.

ChairRider4 Tue 31-Jan-17 07:32:35

I would also ask how comes he has a puppy left ?
As in lot of cases good breeders already have a waiting list for puppies and a reserve waiting list

tabulahrasa Tue 31-Jan-17 07:49:07

Yep, why does he have one available right now? What happened to his waiting lists?

Also does he conveniently happen to own the dog that best complemented his bitch's traits...because that seems unlikely.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 31-Jan-17 07:52:25

Why have you only seen pictures on mom and dad? Could you not meet mom at the very least and if possible dad? It seems very strange to me not to have seen her and would raise a huge red flag!

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 31-Jan-17 07:58:33

Oh just reread, this was a phone call! Sorry op blush it does seem strange that he has a puppy left over so do ask what the story is there.
Lots of good advice so i have nothing to add on the breeder part but I would say unless you are planning to do all the grooming yourself look up good groomers in your area before you bring puppy home. I adore Newfoundlands but they take hours to keep groomed, well worth it though, they are fabulous dogs.

tabulahrasa Tue 31-Jan-17 08:01:23

Because she's not visited yet, that's the only bit that's not a red flag, that he's not allowing visitors till the puppies are 5 weeks plus, though it's not great that she's expected to decide before she's met anyone, breeder or dogs.

BertrandRussell Tue 31-Jan-17 08:04:24

Will you see the bitch and the puppies together? Why hasn't he got a waiting list?

Whitney168 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:33:14

Perhaps he has a bitch puppy left because in the huge litters that Newfoundlands can have there was a higher than usual ratio of bitches? Perhaps he just doesn't take too many bookings so as not to disappoint buyers until puppies are on the ground? Given that the puppies are not yet 5 weeks old, having a puppy available seems no issue at all to me.

I can't see anywhere that the breeder is asking the OP to commit by paying a deposit before she's met the breeder or seen the litter?

As long as all appropriate health testing is in place, I can't see any 'red flags' here at all, seems perfectly sensible. The Newfoundland Club's website has excellent information on the appropriate tests: www.thenewfoundlandclub.co.uk/

Whitney168 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:40:19

I adore Newfoundlands but they take hours to keep groomed

Actually, with the right tools, there's nothing particularly difficult about grooming a Newfoundland, bar the size. Good run through once a week should keep them tidy except when moulting.

If you buy a puppy, I would thoroughly recommend that you invest less than £150 in an entry level 'blaster' and get her used to it from the start, you'll find it so useful - great for when the dog is so muddy they need a sluice off, can be used if dog just wet - does a good bit of the grooming for you. When she moults, you will love it, as even without bathing it will take the loose hair out.

This is a good one, variable speed to get her used to it and to use gently behind the ears, plus you can use with or without heat. Would be money very well spent! www.groomers-online.com/groomers-and-animal-professionals-c1/salon-equipment-c53/dryers-and-blasters-c54/blasters-c71/aeolus-variable-blaster-p1333

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now