Talk

Advanced search

Halt is

(8 Posts)
Empress13 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:15:50

Anyone used one? My 9 month old pup has started pulling when he sees another dog / tree / paper in road etc and as he is getting bigger is getting harder to pull back. Got to say he walks beautifully the rest of the time on roads it's just mainly in parks when he sees other dogs.

Someone mentioned using a Halti (he just has harness at mo which girl at PAH said isn't strong control enough for big dogs). So just looking for advice? Thanks

Blackfellpony Sun 22-Jan-17 09:39:06

We use a dogmatic and it's fantastic. I don't like the ones that tighten around the face.

It still has to be used with a collar or harness as sudden jerks can hurt the neck but it really gives much more control!

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 09:40:39

There are a few styles which work, as long as the dog has a standard length muzzle.

insomniaat4am Sun 22-Jan-17 09:45:35

Yep we use a halti. Big strong dog, staff crossed with something bigger! He would pull you over before on walks but now he walks beautifully. Took a while for him to get used to it and he walked rubbing his face on the floor for a week or so trying to get it off, but they definitely work. We used a harness before which made the pulling worse. I think we have the halti canny collar?

fairgame84 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:52:03

I use a Halti with our GSD. I'm only small and she is an absolute nightmare unless I use the Halti. She hates it but I can't control her with a normal lead as she is too strong.
DP uses a bungee lead that kind of wraps around her nose but I found that she could slip out of it if you didn't have her on a short lead.
PAH told us that big dogs tend to pull worse with a body harness because they can put all of their weight into it.

tabulahrasa Sun 22-Jan-17 10:28:09

I use a head collar, not a halti though because as someone else mentioned they tighten.

If you do get a headcollar, you'll need to spend some time getting him used to wearing it before you actually walk with it.

Your other option is a harness with a front d ring - that sounds like it might be a better idea if he already wears a harness.

Whichever you use, you'll still need to train him not to pull, they'll learn to pull through whatever you use.

1frenchfoodie Sun 22-Jan-17 20:09:54

I use a rope slip lead that I can just twist to make a nose loop for our 1yo cocker/lab cross. DH can walk him on the lead normally but he tries to get away with more with me so we are (both) a work in progress. It stops 90% of the pulling and he is still able to pick up stuff - so horse poo consumption is largely unaffected, sigh. It is great if we have to walk on busy pavements and the rest of the time I slip off and continue proper lead training.

On open ground he is far more interested in a ball than any dog and manages to look thoroughally well behaved as a result.

Empress13 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:30:17

Thanks for all your replies .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now