Talk

Advanced search

Spaniel - blood in poo

(8 Posts)
Nowwhatisit Sat 21-Jan-17 16:24:37

Blood in poo -
2 year old rescue springer spaniel, had sore place on leg that he'd been licking at and saw vet yesterday who gave cephaexin 275mg twice daily and prednisone 5mg once daily. He's just done a poo with red blood on top /little mixed in. My son said there might have been a bit of blood in the poo this morning. He seems fine in himself, big walk, good appetite. Any thoughts?? Do I need emergency vet or can it wait until mine opens tomorrow 8am? I'm worried

shockingsocks Sat 21-Jan-17 22:04:27

So long as there's not loads of blood, it is not life threatening. It suggests some inflammation in the large intestine I believe - but it does need to be seen by a vet. Most surgeries operate a 24 hour emergency helpline, where you can chat it over with a vet out of hours - they might recommend you stop the medication for example and come in in the morning. Either way I wouldn't give any more meds until the vet gives the OK.

Nowwhatisit Sun 22-Jan-17 12:15:22

Thank you so much Shocking - spoke to vet she said most likely the prednisone, to keep an eye on it. Since done 2 normal poos so hopefully ok now. Really appreciate your answering, thanks

Madeiramosaic Sun 22-Jan-17 14:29:01

Asha's he been wormed? I would do that if not recently, it may help.

Nowwhatisit Sun 22-Jan-17 14:31:29

Yes all worm/flea stuff up to date
Thanks

Pippin8 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:36:29

This happens to both my dogs if they are on any meds (one is a spaniel). Both have sensitive tummies. If they are alert & eating & drinking I just keep an eye on it. It usually goes after a few days. If it didn't I would see the vet, but I've never had to yet.

Nowwhatisit Sun 22-Jan-17 19:45:42

That's interesting Pippin, he does seem to have a sensitive tummy generally. Any meds in particular?

Pippin8 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:12:41

Yes certain antibiotics & inflacam.
I have to be careful what they eat too. Got the on skinners field & trial which seems to have helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now