Talk

Advanced search

The mythical easy dog

(52 Posts)
picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Jan-17 15:21:26

DM is talking about getting a dog in a few months/years time, as we will be losing my beloved DF. <^don't be nice, can't bear it right now>.^

Is there such a thing as an easy dog which will need very, very little walking? Long term, we can take the dog if it proves too hard for her to look after. Short term, if she wants to, it would be nice for her to have the best opportunity to make it work.

So is there a dog which can cope with a 30 min walk a couple of times a week, and trips into the garden the rest of the time? I know there are other options, like a dog walking service. It would be helpful though to start with a dog that would like a lazy layabout lifestyle!

Any suggestions? I know the answer is probably no, but on the off chance?

I don't know a great deal about breeds as I am a passionate rescuer. Though I was caught out when the puppy I adopted as a lazy breed cross turned out to have been crossed with a high energy, high prey drive terrier type! I need something a little more reliable for DM. She is thinking in terms of a cavapoo, I think. (Don't start me on that...)

LilCamper Thu 19-Jan-17 15:28:47

Poodles are high energy so a cavapoo would be no good. All dogs need exercise everyday.

doubleristretto Thu 19-Jan-17 15:33:11

A chihuahua would be great, maybe get an older and slightly larger one so it's more reliable in the toileting department? You can even litter train them if you can't get out and they're happy racing around the house or on a short walk. I love my chihuahua!

Costacoffeeplease Thu 19-Jan-17 15:33:25

Yes, all dogs need a walk every day, preferably at least two

What about a cat?

chickensaresafehere Thu 19-Jan-17 15:34:06

Any dog,no matter how big or small needs to be taken out for a walk every day.
Maybe an elderly rescue dog?
But it will still need a walk.

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Jan-17 15:36:37

Thank you. I don't think a cat would fit the bill. A friend of hers has a small fluffy poppet that she likes, not sure what it is. In other circumstance I would discourage it, but if there was a way...

Maxwellthecat Thu 19-Jan-17 15:39:37

get a rescue greyhound, they need walking every day but you can wear them out chasing a ball in a field by your house very quickly then they just want hugs all day.

doubleristretto Thu 19-Jan-17 15:39:40

She's great company smile

doubleristretto Thu 19-Jan-17 15:48:22

Have a look at this article, maybe a Dachshund or a Chinese Crested?

EurusHolmes Thu 19-Jan-17 15:50:15

All dogs need walking daily - could she afford a daily dog walker?

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Jan-17 15:51:19

Aw, thank you for the pic! Are they not inclined to yappy snappyness?

I wondered about a rescue whippet. Anyone know?

Thing is DM is quite physically frail, she couldn't throw a ball... She'd probably fall over. It needs to be something without much pulling power...

Maybe one of those opinionated cats would fit the bill better... But I don't think she'd go for it.

CMOTDibbler Thu 19-Jan-17 15:59:20

TBH, I think only going out a couple of times a week wouldn't be enough for any dog. Its not so much the exercise, its all the mental stimulation they get from being out, sniffing and so on.
If she could manage a short walk everyday, an older dog might work. You know exactly what you are getting, and they tend to be happier hanging round the house. The oldies club has lots of older dogs who have low needs - like Candy for instance

Costacoffeeplease Thu 19-Jan-17 16:05:04

If your mum is so frail that she couldn't throw a ball, I think she'd be mad to get a dog

doubleristretto Thu 19-Jan-17 16:11:33

I live near a lot of later living and retirement flats and a city centre park so I get to see a lot of older women and their little dogs. We often have a chat as we make our ways around the park, it's a lovely way of getting a little exercise, company and meeting your neighbours. There are a few chihuahuas and they don't seem to be yappy, mine certainly isn't. The yappiest and most frail looking are little Yorkshire Terriers, their owners can seem protective to the point of fear. Bichon Frises are very popular but that article says they need daily exercise. Shih Tzus look good and I'm sure I've met a couple but I can't really remember. There's a lady on here who is evangelical about Chinese Crested, you will find something smile

reallybadidea Thu 19-Jan-17 16:17:45

A dog walker might be a really good idea anyway so that she sees a friendly human face every day. Do you think she might be better adopting a rescue dog - ALL puppies are really hard work to start with.

Sadik Thu 19-Jan-17 16:22:23

Slighly backwards way of looking at it, but my friend's DF who is about to be 90 has a mobility scooter which he uses to 'walk' his dog. AFAIK that's the main time he uses it, I still see him walking into town (short level walk) the rest of the time.
He adopted a middle aged rescue staffy cross, so past the mad teenage years and happy to trot along beside the scooter.
Cats are fantastic company, though - I don't have a dog right now as circumstances aren't right, my two cats are ideal (one day I will have a dog again too . . .).

MiaowTheCat Thu 19-Jan-17 16:27:39

If your mum is so frail that she couldn't throw a ball, I think she'd be mad to get a dog

I giggled at the little old lady I saw at the park the other day rocking one of those Nerf tennis ball launchers!

BagelGoesWalking Thu 19-Jan-17 16:30:54

It seems like quite a mad idea for her to get a dog at all. If she's so frail she can't throw a ball, how will she cope with a dog. Just get her to agree NOT to get a puppy - it would be so unfair on both of them.

Tripping hazard - any small dog
Slipping hazard (any pee/water from dog bowl on floor could be dangerous)
How far could she realistically walk? 10 mins or 1/2 hour?
I can only think of a retired greyhound or a retired guide dog as vague possibilities.
She could potentially try for an older rescue dog but many are ex-breeders who need to live with an existing dog in the home.

Please try and persuade her that an older cat rescue would be much better.

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Jan-17 16:35:30

I'll have a look at the link and breeds, thank you.

Ideally, I want her to be out every day pottering around the park. Realistically, she could definitely manage two or three walks a week. And if she doesn't dog can come to me.

A dog walker would be great, there are one or two complications though as she can be a bit 'careful' about money and she's quite hard work. She could fall out with her own shadow...

BagelGoesWalking Thu 19-Jan-17 16:35:53

Sounds like a pretty mad/bad idea. How far can she realistically walk? 10 mins or 1/2 hour? Can she bend over to pick up poo? Could she pick up/bend over to clean dog paws?
Small dog = tripping hazard
Water/pee = slipping hazard. Obvs these are hazards for all of us, but potentially more serious for her.
I can only think that a retired greyhound or retired guide dog are vague possibilities.

BagelGoesWalking Thu 19-Jan-17 16:36:37

Sorry, wasn't showing as posted 1st time so wrote it all again!

SapphireStrange Thu 19-Jan-17 16:41:17

I agree with Bagel.She just doesn't sound like a good candidate for a dog.

everythingis Thu 19-Jan-17 16:42:11

Retired greyhound all the way. They need a walk but not a hike. Very docile and loyal and just want to sleep near you at home. My gh lived with my pensioner mum her last few years and they were peas in a pod. The dog had spent most of her time asleep on the floor next to mums arm chair

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Jan-17 16:47:01

That link is great, thank you!

She can't throw because of two shoulder replacements, but she could roll and play fetch inside.

I wouldn't encourage her to get a dog, but if she does I want to point her in the right direction. It may just be a coping exercise, and may come to nothing.

If we could find one that she could manage though, it would probably do her good and as I say, I can pick up the pieces if it doesn't work out. We used to have dogs, but they didn't replace them as they got older to allow them more flexibility. She won't be travelling far, and will stay closer to home after we lose DF, so it makes a lot of sense in some ways. She may also become more independent when she has to. It's too soon to tell.

It's been helpful, thank you for your ideas.

Branleuse Thu 19-Jan-17 16:48:09

she needs a cat or a budgie, definitely not a dog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now