Talk

Advanced search

Drontal alternatives

(11 Posts)
LimeJellyHead Wed 18-Jan-17 19:01:45

Every quarter when I give my dog his Drontal wormer, he throws up later that night. This is the third time it has happened and this third time I clicked that it is always on Drontal days.

Do all wormers contain the same ingredients or is there a brand anyone could recommend please that is more easily accepted by the body in a dog who appears to have an issue with Drontal?

Thanks.

No1HolidayPlanner Wed 18-Jan-17 22:18:51

My dog threw up his Drontal as well.. What else would anyone suggest?

Tamberlane Thu 19-Jan-17 07:28:24

Milbemax smile different brand different ingredients and helps prevent lungworm as well as treating intestinal and tapeworms.
Have given it to dogs who chuck up drontal with good sucess

LimeJellyHead Thu 19-Jan-17 08:55:32

Thank you so much :-)

LimeJellyHead Thu 19-Jan-17 08:57:06

Do you think, if the Drontal was given to him about 4-5 hours before he threw up, he is covered or do I give another dose (of something else, obvs, lol)?

RaveclawZia13 Thu 19-Jan-17 09:44:43

My dog did the same thing so we use droncit. There is another one that I can't remember but we couldn't use it as it can react with the flea treatment.

RaveclawZia13 Thu 19-Jan-17 09:45:41

I rang up about the sickness and they said about 5 hours after taken it would be digested so I wouldn't give anything else this month.

LimeJellyHead Thu 19-Jan-17 10:00:35

OK, that's great, thank you. I'll wait until his next dose is due.

I'll take a look at Droncit. I think Milbemax may be overkill as he doesn't need lungworm prevention.

Hairymary90 Fri 20-Jan-17 07:00:09

Droncit only treats tapeworm. For public health reasons you need something that treats for roundworms (one that causes child blindness) as well...like milbemax.

RaveclawZia13 Fri 20-Jan-17 08:35:50

If you use advocate spot on that also treats round worm and heart worm and lung worm.

LimeJellyHead Fri 20-Jan-17 08:42:03

Oh no, I went and ordered the Droncit. I'll speak to the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now