Talk

Advanced search

Travelling dog....quick replies if poss as I need to decide!

(16 Posts)
Eliza22 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:26:07

We have an 18 month old golden retriever. This weekend we have to go down south unexpectedly. It'll be a 3 hr journey on Saturday and we'll return Sunday afternoon. I want the dog to go to our dog sitter (she's been once for a week when we were away and once overnight. They're lovely folk, work with Dogs Trust and she's very comfy in their home with their rescue dog.

DH wants to take her with us. So, a 6 hr journey (depending on traffic/conditions in a 24 hr period.

What will be best for the dog? I'd be more relaxed with her away overnight rather than such a mammoth trek. I'm the "do-er" with her so, if she rolls in mud and isn't allowed into the house where we're going, I'll spend the whole time worrying about her.

What would YOU do?

ChairRider4 Wed 18-Jan-17 06:28:58

All depends where you staying other end and what doing there eg hospital visits or visiting non dog family or non dog friendly places if it's similiar to either I would leave with dog sitter long as they have the space

EmbarrassingBaddie Wed 18-Jan-17 06:36:41

Does the dog travel well in the car?

If so, it sounds like the dog would be fine either way so I'd just do what works best for you, tbh. And if you are dog's primary carer then I do mean you .

Chelazla Wed 18-Jan-17 06:41:47

I wouldn't, sounds like the argument me and dh always have he says I worry to much but I just want him safe and warm! Mine is an old boy tho! If you will be responsible for care you decide! I alway do in the end... With the kids too!grin

dietstartsmonday Wed 18-Jan-17 06:44:28

Ours did 10 hours to france with us. But he loves the car and we had regular breaks.
It depends on the dog and if you need to take him I think

PovertyPain Wed 18-Jan-17 06:52:40

Dog sitter. What's the point in having the poor dog stuck in the car for three hours, if he could be having fun with a sitter that knows. You're the one that's going to have to look after him and walk him, while you're away and if this is an important visit, then the people you're meeting/staying with may not appreciate your time being taken up with your dog.

picklemepopcorn Wed 18-Jan-17 06:57:16

Dog sitter.

Hoppinggreen Wed 18-Jan-17 08:16:25

Agree, dog sitter

GinIsIn Wed 18-Jan-17 08:18:28

If the travelling is split on different days and you can stop half way for a leg stretch and a wee, I would take the dog, but it all depends on what you are going south to do really.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Wed 18-Jan-17 08:28:54

Depends on what you'll be doing when you get there.

Mine comes with me when I go to London, he's used to travelling, a 3 hr plus car trip is usual for us (once/twice a month).

Empress13 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:31:21

Dog sitter where you know he'll be safe and have attention. Plus sometimes it's nice to have some time to yourselves 😃

Costacoffeeplease Wed 18-Jan-17 08:32:25

Dog sitter

Eliza22 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:46:15

We are going down to meet DH's daughter's "soon to be" in laws. DH has met briefly, once. I've never met. They have a dog but sd describes their home as "immaculate" and having lovely gardens. Now, my golden is a digger so, I can't just let her into a garden....I'll need to watch her. She is also a massive mud magnet and at the moment the hose is out everyday! I don't mind but I'll be very nervous about her in anyone's "immaculate" home grin. We will stay at a little b&b that allows dogs so, that's ok. I think if it were a long weekend I'd feel better about it but, I just think she'll spend a lot of time in the car in the journey and maybe when we get there (obviously, we'll walk her after the initial meet & greet) if she's like a coiled sprint from the journey. She is, after all, a pup!

Also, she's a massive drooler. My SD doesn't like this and I have to move her away from her. It's just how dog is! Again, it doesn't bother me. She's gets her face washed a few times daily but I only have to rustle a wrapper and she has a face full of drool. She's my baby!

Here is the mud magnet and, the cleaned up version!

GinIsIn Wed 18-Jan-17 08:58:07

She's such a beaut!!!! I think if SD doesn't like the dog and she might be feeling stressed already about the meeting, I would go for the dog sitter.....

Whitney168 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:58:21

I travel miles with my dogs and take them all sorts of places - but in those circumstances, it would definitely be the dog sitter option so you can relax and enjoy.

Eliza22 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:05:44

Thanks all! Sitter then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now