Talk

Advanced search

What sort of dog do I want????

(41 Posts)
PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 18:42:27

So, dd is wearing me down with the nagging for a dog...neither dh or I have ever had one!

Ideally (if I lived in the country and had a dog sled) I'd have a husky...but that's not a option.

We have a good sized house with a safe garden. Easy access to a huge park for walking, but I drive a mini! I'm a SAHM but we do go on pretty regular holidays.

I think we would want a small (not miniature) dog, intelligent and easy to train, good with children, unlikely to chew the place to bits. Easy to groom would be nice!

So what breeds should I start to vaguely consider?

minijoeyjojo Tue 17-Jan-17 18:53:14

We used this to try and narrow down our breed search www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findabreed/ I found it useful as it allowed you to click good with children etc

minijoeyjojo Tue 17-Jan-17 18:56:41

Sorry I just did it again and can't find the option to select good with children. Still it's a decent way of narrowing your search down.

PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 19:06:59

Thank you - will give it a try and report back!!!

AddToBasket Tue 17-Jan-17 19:08:18

A border terrier might suit you. They are great family dogs and wrap up quite small.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 17-Jan-17 19:08:18

I just did the kennel club test and it came up with zero ideas shock I did it a couple of years ago and it did come up with an option that we eventually chose (I'm not sure what I did differently then to now). Our puppy has been nothing but a delight since the day she joined our family so it worked for us.

Having said that I have just been perusing the Many Tears website and I want to adopt all of them, there are so many lovely dogs looking for homes.

PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 19:37:39

Kennel club list didn't help...then I found Pomskys...anyone got one?

TrionicLettuce Tue 17-Jan-17 19:44:40

Have a read of this thread about "pomskies". In short, they're a terrible idea bred exclusively by unethical breeders.

If you like the idea of a "mini-husky" and would be happy with a high energy dog then have a look at the Alaskan Klee Kai. They're still pretty rare in the UK (presuming that's where you are) but there are some breeders here.

everythingis Tue 17-Jan-17 19:55:19

Rule out designer cross breeds they are an issue in themselves.

I second border terror an ex had one she was delightful and just like a live teddy bear. I should have got one if I had any sense!

I have a show cocker he's very cuddly and no problem with kids or other dogs just not very bright.

Also puppies are hard work - more than a baby I must warn you but the puppy stage is short.

I see whippets recommended on here a lot - lovely dogs with great character but not huge or hard work.

LumelaMme Tue 17-Jan-17 20:01:03

If you want a small, bright dog with the pricked ears and alert face of a husky, take a look at the schipperke (pronounced skipper-key). Terrier-sized, cute, clever, adaptable and generally healthy.

toboldlygo Tue 17-Jan-17 20:23:25

I'm a multiple husky owner considering a schipperke as my next dog so seconding that suggestion.

Other smaller spitz type breeds may also suit - Japanese spitz, German spitz, Finnish lapphund etc.

Ylvamoon Tue 17-Jan-17 20:46:02

If you are up for something different... how about a Chinese Crested Dog? Besides hairless, they also come as a hairy "Powderpuff" with a very soft long coat.
They are great little characters, playful, affectionate and well suited to family life!

PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 21:47:29

Poo...no pomsky then!! I like the comment of "if you wouldn't want a purebreed of one of the parents don't get a cross"...makes a lot of sense :-(

PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 21:48:41

Thanks for all the other suggestions...keep them coming!! At the other end of the looks scale a friend has the cutest little fluffy white thing (something like a bichon I think)...dd adores her!!!

Slippersandacuppa Tue 17-Jan-17 21:54:11

We have a Many Tears rescue, had one before too and my parents have one. All lovely dogs and well matched (I have four young children and was pregnant when we got the first one).

Our other dog is a miniature schnauzer and I would recommend her to anyone. Happy with long walks but would rather just pop to the garden on rainy days. Loves people, calm but fun. And very cute smile She's now registered PAT dog too. Good luck!

PetraDelphiki Tue 17-Jan-17 22:31:58

Good to know - would rather have a rescue if possible...

monkeywithacowface Wed 18-Jan-17 08:26:40

We're in the same position (although) have owned digs before. I have narrowed it down to a whippet, border terrier or cavalier King Charles spaniel.

If anyone had thoughts on those three I'd be interested. Children are 12 and 9. Decent sized garden and lots of open spaces locally for walkIng. I will be working part time for on the summer.

monkeywithacowface Wed 18-Jan-17 08:27:09

Ignore typos!

monkeywithacowface Wed 18-Jan-17 08:32:03

My hairderesser has a cavalier and it hops on customers laps and sleeps there for the duration of the hair cut! I wouldnt have considered one before but she really is the sweetest most affectionate little thing.

MidnightSheep Wed 18-Jan-17 08:45:46

I don't think a Many Tears dog would be suitable for an inexperienced dog owner - the majority of the figs on there will need a lot of work. Have been looking myself, and I can't decide if to do it and I'm fairly experienced around dogs.

If you want a rescue start to look at the dogs in local shelters. However before you do, think about your lifestyle and how the dog will fit in. E.g., do you like a clean house? If so how will you feel about a dog traipsing mud in several times a day or a puppy soiling inside? Do you want a low maintenance dog or are you happy to commit to 6-8 week grooming sessions and regular brushing at home. What will you do with the dog when you're away - if using kennels/doggie boarding/home visiting g this will be an extra cost (maybe several times a year)

You don't seem to be very sure if you want a dog or what dog is right for your family, so rather than committing to a pup/rescue dog why not lol into borrow my doggy - it may give you a good idea if the dog's life is for you.

MidnightSheep Wed 18-Jan-17 08:46:37

Figs??? That should read dogs!!!
I don't like figs, but I do like dogs so why autocorrect changed it I don't know!!!!!

Maxwellthecat Wed 18-Jan-17 08:48:40

Rescue a greyhound, they are lovely dogs and don't need as much exercise as people think. Very good with children.

Whitney168 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:07:54

Another vote for Miniature Schnauzer here - a proper dog in a small frame. Bear in mind regular grooming costs. They are very intelligent, very stubborn, so train them or they will train you!

Again, usual warning that because they fit so well in to family life, they have become a very popular dog with puppy farmers - look to the breed club to find the appropriate health tests, then look for a breeder who shows, rather than someone churning out pet puppies.

missyB1 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:15:21

I have a 6 month old miniature schnauzer. She's very friendly, great with our 8 year old ds, good fun, BUT very stubborn!! I am finding her hard to train and currently seriously struggling with teaching her recall. I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake picking a Schnauzer hmm

LumelaMme Wed 18-Jan-17 09:27:32

"if you wouldn't want a purebreed of one of the parents don't get a cross"
I wouldn't necessarily agree. I wouldn't want a labrador for various reasons (shed too much, mostly), but I would happily have a GSP/Lab cross.

Just be very careful not to go anywhere near a puppy farmer. By all accounts they are cunning people and capable of deceiving buyers about how the puppies were 'raised with the family' etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now