Talk

Advanced search

New rescue doggy

(4 Posts)
Racheljones405 Sun 15-Jan-17 16:44:18

Hi All,
On Friday I brought home my new rescue dog. I have 2 younger children (6&3) and he is brilliant with them.
The only thing that wasn't picked up in his behaviour assessment at the dogs home is that he is humping continuously. Aimed mainly at a dedicated teddy, but has also included his bed which I took off him and a quilt. He bites them as he is doing it and my house is being overtaken by fluff. He also tried to mount my mum the first night she was over as she was wearing a furry cardigan.
He is just over 12 months and I plan to get him neutered asap.
Has anyone experienced this before and did neutering reduce the behaviour?

Aside from that, he is doing well in his new home and just needs to get to know us and relax into his new home (he is very excitable!)
Any stories and advice would be appreciated.
P.s. I've got him booked in for training, but doesn't start until March. I've contacted another trainer today also for advice but waiting to hear back.
shock

Bubble2bubble Sun 15-Jan-17 17:48:06

Chances are it's stress humping. It's a huge change for him moving out to a new home and this behaviour can be one of the coping mechanisms. Rushing interest neutering won't necessarily help, I would let him settle for a few weeks if possible. In the meantime, as much distraction as possible!

Racheljones405 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:22:51

Luckily there are a lot of distractions in the house and the kids love him to bits.
I want to get him neutered anyway at some point because I don't intend to breed from him. I'll see if the behaviour reduces with time. He hasn't done it this evening, but I've had a few training sessions and lots of playing.
I'm feeling hopeful...

Bubble2bubble Sun 15-Jan-17 18:29:59

Well that sounds great, well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now