Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Toilet

(6 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Sun 15-Jan-17 13:17:42

I'm preparing for the imminent arrival of a new puppy who will be 8 weeks old when he comes home.

I won't be able to put him down on the ground anywhere outside until he is 12 weeks old, which means he will have to poo and wee inside.

I'm thinking about how I'm going to manage this and wondered whether anyone has any experience of the following:

This dog litter box which was apparently shown on Dragons Den.

http://www.rascaldoglitterbox.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I've also seen things like this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B019GVRV2S/ref=mpss_a11_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1484485773&sr=8-7&pi=ACSX2366_SY340_QL65&keywords=dog+toilet&dpPl=1&dpID=51vwU85J06L&ref=plSrch

Thanks in advance.

LilCamper Sun 15-Jan-17 13:51:50

You can let a pup out into the garden. As long as no infected dogs have been in it.

ElasticFirecracker Sun 15-Jan-17 14:27:08

That's interesting LilCamper. I'm not sure whether it's because I live in a very rural area, but the Vet told me I shouldn't put him down anywhere outside until he's 12 weeks old.

I don't think an infected dog has been in my garden, but there is generally quite a lot of wildlife.

arbrighton Sun 15-Jan-17 15:28:00

I think you might have been slightly confused by vet's message.

And you're just making toilet training harder if you don't start out with letting them out.

LilCamper Sun 15-Jan-17 15:29:33

Your vet holds a very old fashioned view. Your pup is very unlikely to catch anything from local wildlife as most diseases don't cross to other species. Plus your pup will have a certain amount of immunity from his mum up until about 14 wks.

Get him in the garden and start his toilet training, don't make a rod for your own back.

JigglyTuff Sun 15-Jan-17 22:20:05

You can't put them down outside (ie take them for a walk) but you can let them into your garden for a wee/poo. You're going to have a very hard job housetraining him if you don't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now