Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Elderly dog wetting

(8 Posts)
6demandingchildren Sun 15-Jan-17 11:26:38

Our chocolate Labrador who is 12 has been wrong in the house 2 or 3 times a week overnight in the same place. Hubby always walks the dogs later at night after their dinner and the walk is never less than an hour.
Any suggestions with what we can do as I'm the one cleaning it up.

6demandingchildren Sun 15-Jan-17 11:27:12

Wetting not wrong

100milesanhour Mon 16-Jan-17 15:16:31

How large are the pees? Have you had the dogs wee checked for high blood sugars?

spiderlight Tue 17-Jan-17 11:20:29

First and foremost, pop him/her to the vet with a urine sample, as it might be as simple as a UTI. You need to make sure there's nothing medical going on first. We find an old soup ladle brilliant for collecting samples.

6demandingchildren Tue 17-Jan-17 17:41:58

We have done this and everything came back OK, we also had her anal glands done.
I don't think it is because she can't hold it as when she asks to go out she goes to the back door, she is wetting next to the front door that she never uses.

spiderlight Thu 19-Jan-17 18:22:36

It might just be habit then. What are you cleaning it up with? Make sure you use bio washing powder or a proper pet cleaning solution/spray. Is there something you can do about restricting her access to this spot at the times when she's been weeing there? Our older dog occasionally decides that our understairs cupboard door is a convenient indoor loo when it's cold and dark out, so we put his food bowl or one of his kongs there in the evenings to discourage him. Supervise closely and call her to go outside with you if you see her heading to the front door or sniffing there, and then give lots of praise/high value treats for weeing outside, just as you would with a puppy. Sometimes you just need to go back to basic housetraining for a week or so to break the habit, but don't punish her if she does wee indoors because that will just create more stress and anxiety about weeing, which will make matters worse.

rosie1959 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:30:21

When one of my dogs got to his golden years he often couldn't always go all night and would wake me to be let out can your dog get to you to tell you mine slept next to my bed so wasn't a problem
If not and always in the same place I've near the door why not lay some thick newspaper or puppy pads

LimeJellyHead Thu 19-Jan-17 19:57:07

Watch out for any signs of confusion or going backwards in things that were previously learnt, just in case it is dementia. Hopefully not but always worth mentioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now