Talk

Advanced search

German shepherd fur

(7 Posts)
Muppet7410 Sat 14-Jan-17 10:55:49

We have a 7 year old male German shepherd. He has a medium length coat and moults excessively. I have to vacuum daily and that isn't enough to keep the hairs at bay. I have a baby who is almost 6 months and I worry about when he starts to crawl as he will be wading through dog fur.

Does anybody have a similar hairy beast? What are your tips to keep dog hairs at bay and floors spotless?

LilCamper Sat 14-Jan-17 12:08:32

Groom weekly with an undercoat rake.

Mistybeaver Sat 14-Jan-17 14:10:56

My pug cross moulted a lot. So for the last 4 months I have been adding a teaspoon of yumega oil to his food. He definitely isn't moulting as much but it will be interesting to see how he moults over the summer months ,hopefully it will reduce it then too. It's not cheap but lasts for ages.

isupposeitsverynice Sat 14-Jan-17 14:15:12

We have two hairy beasts. The baby was often also hairy. It didn't do any harm. I don't think you can keep it spotless with a shepherd unless you're prepared to spend most of your day hoovering! Unless your dog is a bugger for rolling in poo I would try not to worry too much

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 14-Jan-17 14:21:58

The easiest way is to get rid of carpets, and use rugs. This enables you to sweep up often daily. Go to home bargains and get yourself, a long handled, light weight, brush and pan set. GSD hair gathers like tumbleweed, so easy to collect. They shed relentlessly, any excitement or anxiety, will get them going. By all means groom your dog, but don't over groom, as suggested above. Your baby will survive !

AlcoChocs Sat 14-Jan-17 20:23:36

Hard floors the same colour as the dog helps smile.
You won't be able to get rid of all the stray hairs so best learn to live with it. Baby will be fine, never heard of children being harmed by dog hair.
I've got a lab and a German Shepherd, both moult continuously. Floors get vacuumed once a day, I brush dogs with the Zoom Groom a couple of times a week which gets rid of loose hairs.
They're not allowed upstairs so at least bedrooms are a hair free zone.

Blackfellpony Sun 15-Jan-17 07:38:07

We have two and our baby has tried to eat balls of hair a few times blush

All you can do is hoover regularly and groom with an undercoat as often as you can. I can get a carrier bag full of hair out of mine per week!

Some groomers can get lots of hair out by bathing, grooming and stripping the hair out but I don't think it would last long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now