Talk

Advanced search

Lurcher' teeth

(7 Posts)
taptonaria27 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:38:07

Poor Barry's not only being castrated this morning but the vet just called to say he has a rotten tooth which she will extract as well as a scale and polish. He's only about 18 months old.
I raw feed him but think maybe I've not given him enough bones to help keep his teeth clean. I've certainly never attempted to clean them.
Can you please give me your top tips to keep his teeth clean? I'd like to avoid any further extractions.

Ilovecaindingle Thu 12-Jan-17 19:14:46

Hopefully his toothache will take his mind off the other end!
Our dog are lots of raw veg and never had any dental problems. .
Chunks of raw cabbage +the stalk!
Raw carrots for treats!
She lived til 20 and sure the veg contributed to her great health!!

RubyWinterstorm Thu 12-Jan-17 19:18:30

I once gave my lurcher a carrot abd she vommed it straight back up...

Put me off!

slinkysaluki Thu 12-Jan-17 19:24:18

You could start to clean his teeth with Logic dog toothpaste. You can use it on a brush it just rub on the teeth, it's enzymatic and breaks down plaque etc. Raw bones are good for keeping teeth clean.

slinkysaluki Thu 12-Jan-17 19:24:58

On a brush or rub it onto teeth sorry

Deadnettle Thu 12-Jan-17 19:27:43

Our vets says that brushing a dogs teeth is the best way to keep them clean. With previous dogs chewing kept their teeth clean but that doesn't work with current dog. We clean her teeth every day with logic toothpaste and it really makes a difference.

pigsDOfly Fri 13-Jan-17 00:13:51

Another Logic fan. My dog gets really excited when I bring out the toothpaste as she loves the taste.

Start very slowly OP, put a bit on your finger and try to rub it round your dog's teeth, dog will resist but persevere, after about a week you can try introducing the brush - it comes with its own brush that you put on your finger - and gradually build up the amount of brushing.

I do it every day and dog's teeth stay nice and white. Started doing it regularly after a bill for £360 to have dog's teeth cleaned - no extractions thankfully.

It does take them a bit of time to accept it but it does get easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now