Talk

Advanced search

Which breed would you recommend for us?

(55 Posts)
stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 11:32:12

We are considering getting a dog (subject to approval of landlord). Both DP & I grew up around dogs and our parents still have dogs so we understand the commitment involved.

Obviously I've been spending some time researching breeds but would be interested for other opinions on what you would recommend:

- We have a large house and decent sized garden
- No children but hope to have some in a couple of years
- We've got four cats so need a breed without a strong prey drive
- I work full time but DP is at home most of the time but the dog might have to be at home for 2-4 hours sometimes
- DP grew up with Labs and Collies
- I grew up with Staffies (love their personality but don't like their look so much)

DP doesn't like toy size dogs. I don't like muscly dogs (e.g Staffies, Boxers) or thin dogs (e.g. Greyhounds), just personal preference.

The obvious choice is a Lab but wondering if there is a breed I haven't thought of without the obvious doggy smell and shedding that Labs have.

(Would obviously happily deal with shedding and smell or wouldn't be getting a dog, it's just a practical consideration when thinking of Labs).

KinkyAfro Thu 12-Jan-17 11:47:58

I wouldn't get a dog with 4 already established cats personally as I don't think it's fair to have a dig forced on them.

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:08:58

Kinky...on what basis?

Have you had dogs and cats together before? I have and it worked very well as we got a puppy who quickly learned how to behave around them. In fact they used to curl up to sleep together.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 12:13:36

So between you, you don't like, toy, muscly or thin dogs and don't want one that sheds or smells of dog confused

Are you sure you want a dog?

Christmascrackedit Thu 12-Jan-17 12:22:02

What about a flatcoat retriever? A little bit lab like.

I quite like Irish Terriers too, but sound like you want one that looks like a lab!

Or go to a rescue and get a lovely rescue dog. You will be told if good with cats, and if you get a pup, possible to train to ignore the cats. Crossed-breeds tend to be healthier (or is that a myth??)

KinkyAfro Thu 12-Jan-17 12:24:19

Because a friend of mine had cats that were given away because they didn't get on with the new puppy. What will you do if the cats don't like the dog?

KinkyAfro Thu 12-Jan-17 12:25:54

It's not all the dog though Christmas, it's the poor cats that will need to readjust...what if they don't? What if they hate the dog? What if they're scared of the dog? What happens to them then?

KinkyAfro Thu 12-Jan-17 12:26:11

*not all about the dog

SleepForTheWeak Thu 12-Jan-17 12:27:19

Go to a rescue centre and meet some of the dogs. Forget a about what you think you want/don't want.

I think dogs should be chosen on their personality/temperament and how they would fit into your lives rather than what they look like.

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:35:30

Kinky...we would make it work. I would never give up an animal.

Cats adjust. We had two cats, then introduced two rescue kittens (brought up by us from birth in another room as we foster for Cats Protection). They hated them, for a whole month. Now they're fine.

No doubt when we have kids they'll hate that too (especially our Somali who is a diva!); and they'll adjust.

Change happens. To people, to animals. We adjust.

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:39:58

Costa...I don't think it's that unusual that people have a preference for certain types of dogs...

And I specifically stated in my OP that I wouldn't have a problem with the shedding/smell of a lab, just that it's one consideration.

Honestly you can't win on this topic....people jump down the throat of posters who haven't researched breeds AND jump down your throat if you have.

I have trawled through all the local rescue centre sites for months and no suitable dogs as they either can't be homed with cats or small children (which we don't have now but will have).

Costacoffeeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 12:40:49

I think dogs should be chosen on their personality/temperament and how they would fit into your lives rather than what they look like.

This

Eolian Thu 12-Jan-17 12:43:11

German Shorthaired (or wirehaired) pointer. Beautiful dogs, tick all your boxes I think. We have one. He's our first family dog and is wonderful. He was lovely with our cat too. Great with kids, intelligent, energetic on walks but chilled around the house.

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:44:06

I disagree. I'm sorry but I have a preference for certain types of dogs and cats.

I love cats, I foster cats, I've had cats all of my life but I wouldn't choose to have a spyhinx (no fur) or a Siamese. I know that I would find a cat with no fur harder to bond with.

Obviously you're angels that don't pay any attention to your own preferences but I'm a realist.

Eolian Thu 12-Jan-17 12:48:04

hmm You choose a breed of dog whose temperament is suitable AND that you like the look of, obviously. And if the OP had such a fixed idea of what she THINKS she wants, she wouldn't be on here asking for suggestions would she? Jeez. Just because some people are idiots about choosing a dog (or having one at all), that doesn't mean the OP is.

Hope you find a pointer dog that suits you OP grin.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 12:48:48

My current two dogs were both picked up off the street/from a field, as very young pups. I had no idea what breed they were and what they would become, but I knew I had to rescue them (I'm not in the uk) and I couldn't give a stuff what they looked like

I took on another pup in the same circumstances about 8 or 9 years ago, unfortunately she died of a brain tumour three years ago

I must be an angel and didn't know it

SnapCackleFlop Thu 12-Jan-17 12:50:11

Our much loved family dog died a couple of years ago and eventually we felt ready to look for another dog. Our first dog had been a rescue dog (we got him before we had children) and I found the shelters didn't want to give us a dog because of the children's ages (5 and 9 at the time), often children had to be over 12.

We ended up buying a border collie puppy and he's a year now and has been fantastic. We heard all sorts of horror stories about border collies but he's just wonderful and so great with the children. He's been so easy to train and is so gentle (the postman said he wished all dogs were like him).

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:51:20

<slow claps>

I'll put you forward for the next NY Honours list Costa.

You don't have any preference in looks of dogs. I have a preference in terms of looks and temperament. This does not make me an unsuitable dog owner.

Pogmella Thu 12-Jan-17 12:54:29

Spaniels are widely agreed to be the best kind of dogs, superior to all others in a recent survey*

*--of me, by me.--

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:55:10

Eolian...

I've just looked up GSPs; they are beautiful and the characteristics fit for us too. I will definitely add them to our list!

I trained the last dog my parents had so am quite confident that I can train a (suitable breed) of dog to be cat friendly.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 12:55:41

Thank you, I'll wait for the letter

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 12:58:47

Pog...

Spaniels I'm definitely interested in, not sure about them with cats though. Any experience?

What I've read suggests they are okay with the right introductions and training.

What sort of spaniel do you have?

dalmatianmad Thu 12-Jan-17 13:02:45

A Dalmatian?
They are the most loving beautiful dogs!
People think they are crazy and boisterous and needs loads of exercise, people don't a great opinion of the breed and I cannot understand why??

The British Dalmatian welfare are available for advice and there's always some in rescue!

There is a big support network all over the UK via Facebook and people often arrange local walks smile

stumblymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 13:02:48

I'm going to do a last trawl of local rescues for a dog that would fit (though I did one last night, but just in case I've missed one!)

I'm quite surprised that there aren't that many dogs available around here...even the local RSPCA centre only has seven dogs (all Staffies and lurchers and none can live with both cats and children).

Wellhellothere1 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:03:08

I'll just annoy the vast majority of posters here by suggesting a smallish labradoodle or cockapoo. We have a small fifth generation Australian labradoodle who has a lovely temperament, great with my six year old son and has no issues being left on her own for 4 hours or so. Best of all she doesn't shed at all (which reduces the doggy smell). I'll leave now before anyone insults me for owning a labradoodle.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now