Talk

Advanced search

Dog misbehaves when alone with DH

(4 Posts)
Boynamedsue Wed 11-Jan-17 21:33:48

We've only had our rescue greyhound for four weeks and he's a dream, lovely on the lead and relaxed and affectionate in the house. Although apparently not so much when I'm not there. When I go out and leave him alone with DH he chews, runs around the house knocking things over and won't settle at all. If neither of us are home, whilst I obviously don't know what he does, we come home to a relaxed dog, lying on his bed with nothing chewed, knocked over etc. So this behaviour does seem to be specific to DH. When we first got him I had to go away for a couple of days so if anything I thought he'd have bonded more with DH. Any ideas how to balance the relationships?

Bluebell9 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:57:15

Have you spoken to a dog trainer?

Does DH feed/walk him? I found with my old dog, he was fonder of those who were active in his care giving rather than just lived in the same house ie my siblings!

GinIsIn Fri 20-Jan-17 11:59:25

We had some issues with our rescue dog - she over-attached to me and wouldn't walk or settle for DH. He needs to take over all the feeding, fussing, playing for a bit to build a bond so that you can redress the balance a bit.

Lara2 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:24:21

Definitely involve your DH more if he isn't very much at the moment. Your dog needs to see him as a source of valuable resources like walks, play, food, rewards etc. Make sure he uses the same commands as you or your dog will be confused.
When we got our rescue in the summer, she started over attaching to me so DS2 took over feeding her and playing with her for a while so she would see both of us as resource sources. As a result she loves him more than me!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now